Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Aval Javvarisi Payasam
Recipe Category: Kheer | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Aval(Poha) – 1/2 cup
Javvarisi(Sago) – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Ghee – 1 tsp
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
Cashews – 5 whole broken
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Cool down,Strain and keep aside.
- Rinse sago well and strain water.Take it in a pan.
- Add water and cook in low flame until it is cooked , it should be soft and it will look transparent.
- Strain,rinse it again in cold water and set aside.Rinse poha few times, and soak it in water for 10mins.Once all the water is absorbed and the poha becomes soft, then you are ready.
- Saute poha in 1/2 tsp ghee for 2mins,then add jaggery syrup.If your jaggery syrup is very thin and watery then thicken it in a seperate pan and then add it.Mine was already thick so added it directly.
- Now add cooked sago and cook for few mins until the syrup is blended well with sago and poha.It will become thick this is the right stage,switch off and cool down.
- It will be slightly thickish,Set aside.Now fry cashews in ghee till golden brown,set aside.Boil milk and simmer for 10mins to make it thick.Switch off and cool down completely.
- Add milk, then ghee fried cashews and cardamom powder,mix well.
Serve warm / chilled!
- When milk is added to hot jaggery syrup there are chances for curdling so to be on the safer side during festive occassions you can cool down then add milk.
- The payasam becomes slightly thick as it cools down.