Arisi Paruppu Sadam Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice – 1 cup
Toor Dhal – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Small Onion – 10 halved
Tomato – 2 small
Garlic – 2 to 3
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Sambar powder – a small pinch(optional)
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 3 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 3/4 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Curry leaves – few
- Rines rice and dal , soak it for 15mins, set aside.Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the items listed under ‘to temper’ allow it to crackle. Now add onions, garlic and saute till slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and saute till raw smell leaves and is slightly mushy.Drain water from rice and dhal, add it to the tempered items and mix well.Add required salt.
- Add water and pressure cook in medium flame for 3 whistles. Switch off , once pressure releases open drizzle ghee and give a quick stir.Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
I love paruppu sadam and this one obviously is my favourite too. Its easy to prepare and kids will like it too.You can serve it with any vadams or any poriyal/varuval you prefer.
- Arisi Paruppu sadam should be slightly mushy but if you like your rice to be separated then add 2.5 cups of water.
- You can even skip small onion while tempering.
- It is recommended to serve it hot as the rice will become dry soon.