White Sauce Pasta is a rich and delicious dish made using any pasta variety, coated with a creamy white sauce prepared using flour, milk and butter along with vegetables,herbs and spices. White Sauce Pasta comes together under 30 minutes. Learn to make White Sauce Pasta Recipe with step by step pictures and video.
White Sauce Pasta is a creamy and delicious pasta loved by everyone especially kids. White Sauce Pasta is one of the popular pasta recipes served in restaurants. Nowadays White Sauce Pasta is available in local hotels and street shops too.
What is White Sauce Pasta?
White Sauce Pasta is an Italian inspired dish made with pasta, vegetables, cheese, herbs and spices. White Sauce is one the basic sauces also known as Bechamel Sauce. First pasta is cooked, then the vegetables are sauteed in butter/ oil until crunchy, a creamy white sauce is prepared, finally the pasta and veggies are added to the sauce to make a delicious creamy white sauce pasta.
White Sauce or Bechamel Sauce is prepared using butter, flour and milk. This sauce is rich, creamy and delicious. It is one of the five mother sauces in French cuisine.
White Sauce Pasta is very easy to prepare along with a mix of colorful vegetables it is whole some and nutritious too. You can either use whole wheat pasta variety or the regular pasta. I have used Penne Pasta variety but you can use other varieties like Fusilli, Farfalle, Rigatoni or Macaroni etc.
Pasta in White Sauce is a melt in the mouth blissful dish made by cooking pasta with milk, flour and cheese. Pasta in White Sauce is an anytime dish that will be savored by the kids and enjoyed by the adults.
I love both the baked version and the stove top version. Getting the perfect white sauce consistency took some time for me but now its just a child’s play. The love for white sauce led me to try this sandwich and I have got good reviews for the recipe from friends and readers already.
White Sauce Pasta Video
White Sauce Pasta Ingredients
- Pasta – I have used Penne variety pasta but you can use even fusilli or macaroni pasta too. You can even use durum wheat pasta or regular white pasta as per your choice.
- Vegetables – I have used capsicum, carrot, boiled corn and beans. You can add mushrooms, baby corn, fresh green peas or any other vegetable of your choice. Cut into small cubes so that it gets cooked quickly.
- Butter – I used homemade butter. Use fresh butter you can even use store bought butter.
- Flour – You can use wheat flour or maida.
- Milk – Use boiled warm milk, preferably full fat milk.
- Herbs & Spices – Garlic along with mixed herb seasonings, oregano are used here which are the main flavoring for this dish.
How to make White Sauce Pasta Step by Step
1.Heat around 3 cups water, Boil well, add pasta along with salt to taste. Cook for 5-7 mins until soft yet crunchy to bite. Each pasta variety takes different time to get cooked so always keep an eye.
2.Do not make it mushy, the pasta should be cooked fork tender. Switch off.
3.Drain the paste, rinse it in cold water to avoid further cooking.
4.Heat 2 teaspoon butter, let it melt. Add 1 tablespoon garlic saute for a minute.
5.Add 1/4 cup each of corn, capsicum, beans and carrot along with little salt and pepper powder. Saute for few mins until the veggies turn slightly soft but still crunchy to bite.
6.Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Preparing White Sauce
7.In the same pan heat 2 tablespoon butter let it melt.
8.Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoon wheat flour. You can replace it with maida too.
9.Whisk well without any lumps.
10.Now add 1.5 cups milk and stir continuously to avoid lumps .Add boiled warmed milk.
11.Keep stirring until its slightly thick.
12.The sauce starts to coat the ladle slightly. Now add 2 tablespoon grated cheese.
13.Keep mixing in low flame. Cook in low flame, keep stirring until the sauce coats the ladle.
14.This is the perfect stage add the sauteed veggies, cooked pasta along with 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon mixed herbs. Add required salt.
15.Toss well until the pasta nicely coats with the sauce.
16.Mix well – White Sauce Pasta is ready!
Toss well until nicely coated.
- Stir continuously while adding milk to avoid lumps. Also keep the flame to lowest.
- In case if it starts to form lumps switch off stove whisk well to break the lumps, else strain to remove the lumps then add the sauce again to the pan and proceed.
- Do not roast the flour for too long and change its color then the sauce might turn dull in color too.
- Always use boiled fresh milk.
- If you want you can add 2 tablespoon finely chopped onions too.
- To make sure the white sauce is ready, coat the ladle with sauce draw a line on the ladle to check if the line stands firm then white sauce is ready and you can add the pasta and veggies else cook for few more minutes.
- Do not let the sauce unattended it may get burnt at the bottom easily.
- I used processed cheese grated. You can use Parmesan or Cheddar cheese too.You can completely avoid cheese if you prefer.
- To make the sauce more rich add 1/2 cup fresh cream.
- I have used dried herbs, but you can fresh herbs if you have.
- You can make white sauce pasta with or without vegetables as per your choice.
- For Vegan option replace butter with olive oil and milk with almond milk. But if you use almond milk make sure to cook in lowest flame to avoid it from splitting,
- You can use more spices and herbs if you want it more spicy.
Serving & Storage Suggestion
Serve it hot with toasted bread, it tastes great on its own too. White Sauce Pasta keeps well in room temperature only for a day and in fridge for 2 days. If storing in fridge next day add little boiled milk, heat it up to thin the consistency before serving.
1.What is white sauce pasta made of?
White Sauce Pasta is a creamy pasta made using any pasta variety, coated with a creamy white sauce prepared using flour, milk and butter along with vegetables, herbs and spices.
2.My sauce turned lumpy, What can I do?
If you do not stir continuously lumps will be formed so keep stirring to avoid it. In case if the sauce turns lumpy then strain the sauce, discard the lumps and then use the sauce. Add little more milk and cook until thick.
3.What type of pasta is used for white sauce pasta?
Generally Penne pasta is used for white sauce pasta but however you can use other varieties of pasta too including Fusilli, Farfalle, Rigatoni or Macaroni etc.
Tried this White Sauce Pasta Recipe? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
White Sauce Pasta Recipe (Bechamel Sauce Pasta)
- 1/4 cup carrot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup beans finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet corn boiled
To cook pasta:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup pasta
- salt to taste
For the white sauce:
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1.5 tablespoon flour You can use either wheat flour or maida
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 tablespoon cheese grated
- Heat around 3 cups water, Boil well, add pasta along with salt to taste. Cook for 5-7 mins until soft yet crunchy to bite. Each pasta variety takes different time to get cooked so always keep an eye.
- Do not make it mushy, the pasta should be cooked fork tender. Switch off.
- Drain the paste, rinse it in cold water to avoid further cooking.
- Heat 2 teaspoon butter, let it melt. Add 1 tablespoon garlic saute for a minute.
- Add 1/4 cup each of corn, capsicum, beans and carrot along with little salt and pepper powder. Saute for few mins until the veggies turn slightly soft but still crunchy to bite.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan heat 2 tablespoon butter let it melt.
- Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoon wheat flour.
- Whisk well without any lumps.
- Now add 1.5 cups milk and stir continuously to avoid lumps.Add boiled, then warmed milk.
- Keep stirring until its slightly thick.
- The sauce starts to coat the laddle slightly. Now add 2 tablespoon grated cheese.
- Keep mixing in low flame. Cook in low flame, keep stirring until the sauce coats the laddle.
- This is the perfect stage add the sauted veggies, cooked pasta along with 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon mixed herbs. Add required salt.
- Toss well until the pasta nicely coates with the sauce.
- Mix well – White Sauce Pasta is ready!
- Toss well until nicely coated.
- Stir continuously while adding milk to avoid lumps.
- Incase if it stats to form lumps switch off stove for a minute whisk well to break the lumos then switch on and proceed.