Homemade Sambar Powder Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Powder | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Coriander seeds – 3/4 cup (55 gms)
Red chillies (long variety) – 3 cups (225 gms)
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1/4 cup (55 gms)
Toor dal – 1/4 cup (55 gms)
Channa dal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
Pepper corns – 1/8 cup (20 gms)
Jeera – 1/8 cup (15 gms)
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Measure and keep the ingredients ready. First fry roast red chillies along with urad dhal till dal turns golden brown and chillies turn slightly browned,Set aside.Then dry roast chana dal till golden brown, set aside.
- Followed by toor dal, then jeera and pepper until dal turns golden brown and pepper jeera gives nice aroma.Set aside.
- Then let mustard seeds splutter, set aside.Then add coriander seeds, then fenugreek seeds each seperately. Set aside.
- Allow all the ingredients to cool down then grind it in a mixer to a slight coarse powder. Allow it to cool down and then store in a clean airtight container.
Mittu just loves sambar esp ammas sambar be it for idlys or dosas she would literally drink it with a spoon 🙂 For her sake, sambar is on our menu at least twice a week.
- Adjust red chillies according to your spice level 3cups can be increased to 4 cups if you prefer a little spicy.
- Adding hing is purely optional, if you are adding add a tsp along with mustard seeds.
- The color of the powder purely depends on the red chilli variety.Also always fry red chillies along with the dals to avoid blackening…if the red chillies turn dark/black then it will affect the color and taste of the sambar powder too.