Thandai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Reference: Tarladalal | Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Milk – 1/2 liter (2 cups)
Sugar – 1.5 tbsp
Saffron – 6 to 8 strands
Rose essence – 2 drops
To grind to a paste:
Almonds – 20
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns – 10
- Take all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ and soak it in water for 30mins.Meanwhile boil milk.
- Cool down and add sugar.Take a tbsp of warm milk and soak saffrons in it.Add a tsp of the saffron milk mixture to the milk.
- Peel of the skin of almonds and grind it along with other ingredients to a fine paste. Then spoon the mixture and add it to the milk.Mix well and set aside for 15mins.Then strain it.
- Discard the residue.Add the remaining saffron milk (which we reserved in step2) to the strained almond milk.Add 2 drops rose essence and refrigerate it for an hr.
- After the spice mixture is added give little resting time for it to get blended well with milk.
- Rose water is optional but gives a great flavour to the drink.
- At the time of serving, pour into serving glasses, add crushed pistachios and saffron.You can even add dried rose petals.Always serve chilled.