Tomato Rice – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Cooked Rice – 1 cup
Tomatoes – 5 medium sized
Salt – as required
Small Onion – 10
Garlic – 6 pearls (halved)
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil -1 tbsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Curry leaves – few
Green Chillies – 1 slitted
- Chop the tomatoes roughly, keep aside. Heat oil – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter. Then add onion and garlic. Saute till slightly browned.
- Then add tomatoes,red chilli,turmeric powder and salt. Saute till mushy and raw smell leaves. Once it starts shrinking, sprinkle little water and cook till the tomatoes turn soft. Keep sauteing now and then.
- At one stage it will be thick mass like a thokku consistency. At this stage, switch off. Take cooked rice and cool it down, then add the tomato thokku and mix well.Take care not to break the grains of the rice.Check salt and add if required.
Serve it with curd or onion raita. We had it with plain curd and vendakkai poriyal.
- I usually deseed the tomatoes, but you can use it with seeds too to get more gravy.
- I have used normal plain rice, you can use basmati rice too.
- You can also grind the tomatoes to a coarse paste and proceed with the remaining steps.
- I havent cut onion have used it as such as they were small. If you prefer just half it. I halved the garlic alone.