Tomato Rice is a tasty, tangy & spicy rice meal made using tomato & spices and blending it with cooked rice. Tomato rice is served with raita, papad and makes a good choice for travel & lunch box. Tomato Rice recipe is explained with step by step pictures and video.
Tomato Rice Recipe is a quick & simple recipe that could be prepared in minutes and delicious too! Tomato Rice makes cooking for the day effortless & gets you more me time.
About Tomato Rice
Tomato Rice is my go to dish on busy days – I cook rice in the morning when I prepare for mittu & gugu lunch box and just make the tomato mix & blend it with the cooked rice to make delicious tomato rice for lunch. I also make Tomato rice as an evening meal for my kids when I pack tiffin for lunch box. I cook rice additionally accordingly at those times.
Tomato Rice is also called Thakkali Sadam -Thakkali meaning tomato and Sadam meaning cooked rice. Thakkali Sadam is very commonly made in Tamilnadu households and across various parts of India.
Tomato Rice – A healthy rice
Studies indicates that tomatoes reduces risk of heart disease & several cancers. Tomato is a good source of Vitamin C an essential nutrient & antioxidant which helps to fight several diseasesand beneficial for skin health.Get goodness of tomato with Tomato rice! People with kidney complication are not advised to consume tomato in any form.
Tomato Rice – A Marriage of Tomato & Rice
Tomato Rice is a successful marriage of tomato & rice. Tomato – a fruit botanically but sacrifices itself as a vegetable at our kitchen. Rice – a seed of grass botanically but domesticated as a cereal grain. Tomato blend with rice is a delight to foodies and a comfort food to the cook.
Tomato Rice – An amazing variety rice
Tomato Rice is an amazing variety rice that is a perfect travel partner, lunch meal saviour and a great lunch box filler! Tomato is commonly made as one of the variety rice in Baby shower function and mini meals served at hotels. In Tamil Nadu, they are regularly sold as street side food for lunch along with other varieties of blend rice.
Tomatoes are often harvested while still green & immature, then ripened artificially with ethylene gas which leads to less flavour & bland tomatoes. Artificially ripened tomatoes are slightly green & yellowish at the top.
- Tomato : Tomato is the star ingredient which is preferred juicy and sweet & sour for tomato rice, else it may make the rice just a plain masala rice. Choose fresh tomatoes that are red / orangish uniformly, firm & soft and weighs in proportion to its size. Avoid using canned tomatoes, sauces as a substitute for fresh tomatoes. Tip for cooking tomato: Since tomatoes are acidic, they are reactive to iron making the rice bitter & metallic. Stainless steel or ceramic pans can be used.
- Rice : Use any short grain rice variety ( raw rice, boiled rice, sonamasoori) for regular home use. If you are making it special, make tomato rice with basmati rice. Cook rice grainy so that it does not break while blending.
- Onions & No Veggies : Choose small onion over big onion for Tomato rice as they make it tastier. If you do not have access, alternatively use big onions. To feel tangy tomato delight do not add any other veggies except for garlic & curry leaves for flavours & green chillies for spiciness. You may additionally use Ginger garlic paste but make sure the raw smell goes away by sautéing it well.
- Spices : I have used turmeric powder and green chillies for the apt spiciness and colour. I have tempered jeera, cinnamon,and cloves for flavours. Do not add any other spice powders as it might change the flavour and bring down the tomato flavour.
- Oil : I always use gingelly oil for tomato rice as it is flavourful. You can use the regular oil that we use at home too – refined / groundnut oil for making tomato rice.
Tried this Tomato Rice Recipe? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon piece
- 2 nos cloves
- 2 nos green chilli slitted
- few curry leaves
- Get ready with your ingredients.
- Heat 2 tbsp gingelly oil add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 nos cloves then add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add few curry leaves and 5 nos garlic and 2 nos green chillies slitted. Give a quick saute.
- Add small onions along with salt and 1/8 tsp turmeric powder.
- Saute for 2 mins.
- Then add tomatoes roughly chopped.
- Saute until slightly mushy.
- Cook covered for 3 mins or until tomatoes are completely cooked and mushy.
- Open and keep cooking in low flame.
- Keep cooking until its thick.
- Cook until oil seperates and no moisture is seen. The mixture should not be saucey it should like a thokku.Cool down the mixture for 10 mins.
- Then add cooked rice.
- Mix gently without breaking the rice.
- Mix well until well combined. Tomato rice is ready.
- I usually deseed the tomatoes, but you can use it with seeds too to get more gravy.
- I have used normal plain rice, you can use basmati rice too.
- You can also grind the tomatoes to a coarse paste and proceed with the remaining steps.
- I have not cut onion have used it as such as they were small. If you prefer just half it. I halved the garlic alone.
How to make Tomato Rice
1.Get ready with your ingredients.
2.Heat 2 tbsp gingelly oil add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 nos cloves then add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
3.Add few curry leaves and 5 nos garlic and 2 nos green chillies slitted. Give a quick saute.
4.Add small onions along with salt and 1/8 tsp turmeric powder.
5.Saute for 2 mins.
6.Then add tomatoes roughly chopped.
7.Saute until slightly mushy.
8.Cook covered for 3 mins or until tomatoes are completely cooked and mushy.
9.Open and keep cooking in low flame.
10.Keep cooking until its thick.
11.Cook until oil seperates and no moisture is seen. The mixture should not be saucey it should like a thokku.Cool down the mixture for 10 mins.
12.Then add cooked rice.
13.Mix gently without breaking the rice.
14.Mix well until well combined. Tomato rice is ready.
Tasty tomato rice is ready to be served!
- I have used normal plain rice, you can use basmati rice too.
- You can grind the tomatoes to a coarse paste too and proceed with the remaining steps. But the flavour and taste changes with pureed tomatoes.
- I have not cut small onion have used it as such as they were small. If you prefer just half it.
- Make sure the tomato mix/sauce is cooked well and does not have moisture at all.It should mbe more like a thokku. If the tomato mix is saucey or watery it may make the rice mushy when mixed.
- Leftover plain cooked rice can be made to Tomato rice for kids after they return from school or for the next day lunch or for making varieties of rice for a good spread of lunch.
Serving & Storage Suggestions
Tomato rice is served plain or with pappad, curry, curd, pickle or raita. Tomato rice is great for travel, lunch box and quick lunch at home.
Tomato rice keeps good for a day – For later use next day, refrigerate and reheat it before serving.
- Cooking tomato with rice in a pan together (instead of cooking rice separately & blending) making it as a Tomato Bath
- You can add leftover veggies like carrot, potato, gobi, beans (after boiling them) to make it as a Tomato Biryani
- Add cashews for making it special & tastier.
1.What is Tomato rice?
Tomato Rice is a tasty, tangy & spicy rice meal made using tomato & spices and blending it with cooked rice.
2.Which variety of rice should I use for Tomato Rice?
Use raw rice / boiled rice / sona masoori for regular home use. If you prefer you can use basmati rice.
3.Why is my Tomato rice bitter?
Tomato when overcooked with burnt spices can make the tomato rice bitter. Suggest to cook in low flame to avoid spices & tomatoes getting burnt.
4.Can I prepare the sauce or tomato mix the night before and use next day?
Very much – It saves lot of time in the morning when we pack for lunch box. The mix can be refrigerated and it keeps good for 2 days.
5.How to cook rice for tomato rice?
I usually use draining method to cook rice. If you want to cook in cooker then for 1 cup rice use 3 cups water and cook for 3 whistles in low medium flame.