Egg Fry is a spicy quick dish made by cooking boiled eggs then tossing it in indian spices mixture along with oil. Egg Fry is a quick 10 minutes sidedish that you can make when you are in a hurry. Egg Fry is a good alternate side for rice meal, chapati, roti & other flatbreads. Egg Fry Recipe is explained in this post with step by step pictures and video.
Egg Fry is one of the most quickest yet delicious sidedish that you can make in few minutes. Boiled Egg Fry is one of the Indian sidedishes that is made with boiled eggs and indian spices. There are many ways this simple Egg Fry is made and this one is a staple at our home.
About Egg Fry
Egg Fry shared here is one of the most requested egg dishes at home. This Egg Fry has become both kids favorite these days. My mother makes egg roast in a different way which calls for more ingredients but this Egg fry needs just eggs, oil, spices and can be made in dosa tawa itself.
This Egg Fry Recipe was made accidentally when I was running out of time to serve a comforting meal. One fine afternoon I was soo tired and went to the kitchen only at 12 PM to make lunch and I was confused what to make as I had no stock of vegetables so planned to make rice, dal and egg fry. First put rice and dal to cook in Instant pot and by the side put eggs to boil and the meal was ready by 1 o clock. When I saw the kids enjoying this Egg fry I was really very happy and that too gugu who runs miles away for spicy food enjoyed it to the core. So after that this Egg Fry has become so demanding that I make it often.
All you need is hard boiled eggs and you are done with this dish in few minutes. This Egg Fry is so versatile you can temper with mustard, curry leaves add onion or other ingredients as per your liking.
I make this Egg Masala Fry atleast twice a month as my kids love it. I love it with steamed basmati rice and a simple dal tadka.
Egg Fry Ingredients
- Eggs – I have used brown / country eggs but you can use white eggs too.
- Oil – Use any cooking oil. Generally I use groundnut oil for cooking so used that for this egg fry. You can use refined oil too.
- Spices – The masalas used here is purely based on preference. I have used turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder.
Tried this ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
- Cook eggs in boiling water for exactly 14 mins. Switch off add it to chill water, set aside for few mins. Then peel the shell of the eggs. Eggs are peeled and ready.
- Place it on a chopping board and slice into half as shown.
- Perfect hard boiled eggs are ready!
- To a pan or dosa tawa add 2 tablespoon oil. Heat it but should not be smoking hot. Keep flame in lowest once heated.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder and salt to taste.
- Give a quick mix – keep an eye so that you don't burn the masalas.
- The oil masala mixture is ready.
- Add the sliced eggs with egg yolk part down.
- Cook for a minute then flip over to other side.
- Splash the masala oil over the eggs.
- Add a pinch of pepper powder. Masala eggs are ready to serve!
- Serve masala eggs with rice and dal perfect combo!
Egg Fry Recipe Step by Step
1.Cook eggs in boiling water for exactly 14 mins. Switch off add it to chill water, set aside for few mins. Then peel the shell of the eggs. Eggs are peeled and ready.
2.Place it on a chopping board and slice into half as shown.
3.Perfect hard boiled eggs are ready!
4.To a pan or dosa tawa add 2 tablespoon oil. Heat it but should not be smoking hot. Keep flame in lowest once heated.
5.Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder and salt to taste.
6.Give a quick mix – keep an eye so that you don’t burn the masalas.
7.The oil masala mixture is ready.
8.Add the sliced eggs with egg yolk part down.
9.Cook for a minute then flip over to other side.
10.Splash the masala oil over the eggs.
11.Add a pinch of pepper powder. Masala eggs are ready to serve!
Serve masala eggs with rice and dal perfect combo!
Egg Pepper Fry
I tried this Egg Pepper Fry for a lazy day lunch and it turned out super good, spicy egg fry in few minutes perfect to pair up with rice, dal / rasam. I couldn’t click pictures when I tried it for the first time as I was skeptical whether it would turn out as good to post it here but after that I made it twice in the same month so that justifies the post here. If you want to make a simple lunch then this egg fry should be your first choice easy,quick and tasty too!!
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
To Roast & Grind :
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
Egg Pepper Fry Recipe Step by Step
- Hard boil eggs – Boil water and add eggs and cook for 7-10mins in medium flame.Immedaitely add it to cold water and set aside for 10mins.Then crack open and remove the egg shell,Set aside. Dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind’ till golden brown then powder it coarsely,Set aside.
- Cut the eggs vertically into two and set aside.Heat oil in a pan – add onion, ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown.Then add the masala powder.
- Add garam masala powder and fry the masala for a minute,add required salt then sprinkle little water and add the eggs with cut side down.Cook covered for 2mins.
- Open and carefully turn over the eggs and fry for a minute.Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with hot rice or chapathi!
- This is a mildy spicy fry so adjust spice powders according to your preference.
- Adding freshly ground pepper powder gives a great flavour.
- This pairs well with phulka / white pulaos / or even with plain rice.
- Do not overcook eggs as it will turn hard / rubbery.
Serving & Storing Suggestion
You can serve Egg Fry with phulka, rice, roti etc. I would suggest to serve it immediately as it tastes so good when hot.
1.Is Egg Fry and Fried Eggs same?
Egg Fry is different from Fried Eggs. Egg Fry is tossing boiled eggs in oil spices mixture but Fried eggs is made by cracking an eggs over hot oil and cooking it by splashing oil over the eggs.
2.How to make Egg Fry?
- First boil eggs for 14 mins to get perfect hardboiled eggs
- Slice them into half.
- Heat oil in a dosa tawa add all the spice powders give a quick mix.
- Add the sliced eggs, toss well and switch off.