We use peanut butter for bread,chapathi or sometimes eat as such too.
Homemade Creamy Peanut Butter – This version is with honey and sugar but nowadays I am using powdered jaggery / jaggery syrup for making peanut butter.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe
Recipe Category: Dip | Recipe Cuisine: World
Whole Peanuts(with skin) – 2 cups
Powdered Jaggery – 2 tbsp
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Take peanuts in a pan, roast until browned and the skin starts to easily peel off.Cool down and then remove the skin.You can take the peanuts in your palm,rub it then blow away the skin.
- Now remove the center white part and discard it(this step is purely optional but I recommend if you are going to give this peanut butter for kids), amma says its pitham not sure of what its called in english.
- Now take the peanuts in a blender, powder it.
- Keep grinding it when it starts to come together, add powdered jaggery and salt.
- Then grind again, you can see the oil releasing and it will become sticky.At this stage add half of the oil you have.
- Keep grinding, then add remaining oil and grind it again.
- Keep grinding it, you can see the texture change by now it should have got look like flowing paste.Transfer to airtight container and store.
Store in fridge after 2 days.
- The texture is purely your choice, if you want it crunchy then grind less.I wanted smooth peanut butter so grinded accordingly.
- Add odourless cooking oil.
- I have tried with jaggery syrup and honey too.
- If you are using jaggery as such then use cleaned jaggery.
- You can even use peanuts with skin but that will give a slightly bitter taste.
- I used my mixer jar, you can use your food processor too.
- If you want chunk peanut butter then reserve a handful of peanuts and add at the final stage, give a quick pulse so that the peanut pieces come here and there while eating.