Chicken Soup is flavourful and spicy soup made by cooking chicken along with tempered spices & ground herbs. Chicken Soup is highly nutritious and at the same time easy to cook. How to make Chicken Soup is explained in this post with step by step pictures and video.
Chicken Soup is a great appetizer to relish before a meal or could be consumed as a wholesome food separately. Chicken Soup is served warm or hot anytime during the day.
I am not very fond of soups but this south indian version Chicken Soup is an exception as I love to have it with idlis, dosas, bread or even as such as it tastes so good on its own. The climate here is so chill these days and a warm bowl of soup is a bliss. Mittu loves to have this soup as such or with idlis.
About Chicken Soup
Chicken Soup is an international dish that is prepared in different native ways however the basic recipe is more or less similar. While western world chose a very clear soup without spices, eastern world loves it with noodles & sauces. Here I bring the Indian version of Chicken clear soup with spices & masala that will make you crave for more.
Chicken Soup could be made in clear and thick forms. While this recipe is a clear soup, thick soup is prepared either by simmering chicken with refined wheat flour & butter or by cooking chicken with corn flour, corns and eggs. Will add cream of Chicken Soup recipe in my to do list!
Chicken Soup – A natural healer
Chicken Soup is one of the best relievers when you have cold, cough or fever. Chicken Soup is an elixir with the goodness of turmeric powder, garlic, pepper, cumin & herbs which will drain out the bad waters / mucus in the body and gets you back normal. Chicken soup is a natural healer also prevents dehydration, eases nasal congestion, clears sore throat, removes breathing infections and also aids in building immunity.
Chicken Soup – Which part of chicken to choose?
Use boney pieces of meat (thighs, legs, backs, wings,etc.) and fat portions. Boney pieces release the juicy & meaty portion which makes the soup more flavourful and delicious. Fat portion will release oils that makes the soup bit oily &tasty. You can avoid fat portion if you do not want oily Chicken Soup or adjust fat portions according to your taste preferences. Also after apportioning the chicken for other recipes like biryani, gravy, fry you can use the leftovers for the soup.
What is the difference between Chicken Soup and Country Chicken Soup ?
- Chicken Soup is mild spicy version made with broiler chicken
- Country Chicken Soup also called Naatu Kozhi Soup is a spicy hot powerful version made with country chicken i.e domestic breed hen or rooster
- Country chicken takes 5-10 minutes more time to cook and I have replaced coriander leaves with coriander seeds apart from adding more spices & masala in the making of Country Chicken Soup.
- Chicken Soup can be cooked along with veggies like carrots, cabbages (more or less same boiling time) while Country chicken is not made with veggies as their boiling time varies largely and it takes more time if it has to be matched by cooking chicken separately and veggies separately and then sautéed together for 5 minutes.
Chicken Soup Leftovers
Do not worry if the chicken soup is leftover – You can add the chicken of the soup in the gravy at final stages of cooking the gravy. Adding it earlier may lead to overcooking the chicken giving a rubber feel. Soup can be added instead of water in the regular making of the gravy.
Chicken Soup Ingredients
- Chicken : Use young tender broiler chicken without skin for this recipe. Refer Naatu kozhi soup recipe if you had got country chicken / NaatuKozhi. The meaty portions like chicken breast can be used for Chicken 65 & fry, the portions with large meat & less bones can be used for Chicken Biryani and the boney portions along with fat is used for making soup. When you buy the chicken ask the butcher to chop the bones so that bones releases meaty stock / juice which makes the soup flavourful.
- Herbs : Coriander leaves add colour & flavour to the Chicken Soup and is preferred to be added fresh. Parsley could be alternative to coriander leaves but sure the taste and flavour would change accordingly.
Tried this chicken soup? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
- 250 gms chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 nos garlic
To grind to a paste
- 10 nos small onion
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon pepper corns
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 no cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small sized big onion finely chopped
- First grind the ingredients listed under 'to grind to a paste' with little water to a semi fine paste. Set aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil – add cardamom and jeera let it splutter.
- Then add onions and curry leaves saute till it is slightly browned.
- Then add washed and cleaned chicken pieces, add turmeric powder. Saute for 2mins then add the paste.
- Saute well till raw smell leaves say for 3-5mins.
- Then add water, required salt and pressure cook for 5 whistles. Once pressure releases, open and serve hot.
- Serve Chicken Soup hot with any bread. We had it with masala bread.
- If you want it more spicy add a teaspoon of red chilli powder along with turmeric powder and proceed with remaining steps.
- The soup goes well with idlis and uttapams too. I love it with hot steaming idlis.
- You can use the leftover chicken pieces and even the soup for any chicken gravy you are making.
How to make Chicken Soup
1.First get all your ingredients ready.
2.To a mixer jar add small onion, pepper, cumin seeds and coriander leaves.
3.Add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a mixer jar. Add little water.
4.Grind to a coarse paste. Set aside.
5.Heat oil in a pressure cooker – add cumin seeds let it crackle. Add garlic and cardamom.
6.Add onions saute until golden. I used big onion chopped finely you can use small onion too.
7.Now add cleaned chicken. I first rinse chicken thoroughlly atleast 2-3 times in running water then finally rinse it with turmeric powder.
8.Add salt and turmeric powder to it.
9.Saute for 3-5mins.
10.Saute until color and texture of chicken changes.
11. Add ground paste.
12.Saute for 2 mins.
13.Add 2 cups water.
14.Give a quick mix.
15.Pressure cook in low medium flame for 3 whistles.
16.Let pressure release by itself. Open and hot chicken soup ready.
Chicken soup is a very flexible recipe which can be made in many ways. Some of the variations are listed below
- Restaurant Style – Chicken Soup with shredded chicken: Chicken with lesser bones & more meaty portion has to be pressure cooked for 5 whistles. Drain and save the chicken stock for serving. Take the bones off and shred the chicken into flakes. Temper onions, garlic, pepper corns and add to the chicken stock & shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes and enjoy chicken soup with shredded chicken.
- Chicken soup with vegetables: Skip the coriander leaves grinding in the recipe and add roughly chopped carrots, cabbage, spinachwhile adding water in the recipe. Pressure cook for 5 whistles and serve the chicken soup with vegetables hot in bowl & enjoy.
- Pan Cook Chicken soup: Instead of pressure cooking, you can make the chicken soup in a suitable pan by simmering the content for 30-40 minutes in low-medium flame. Add 1 cup extra water / the water should be well above the chicken in this method.
- Chicken soup with noodles, pasta : Cook the recipe with 4 whistles and add noodles or pasta to the soup and saute for 5-7 minutes to make tasty kids favourite Chicken soup with noodles.
Chicken soup is a great dish to savour by itself. Chicken soup is accompanied by garlic bread, bread roll, bread sticks commonly. Chicken soup also serves as an appetizer in a grand lunch / dinner menu.
At our home, we cook normally non-vegetarian on Sundays and use to make soup for breakfast along with idli or dosa and non veg meal for lunch. It has been a long practice that is continuing for generations whenever we take chicken.
We usually add the leftover chicken soup in the chicken gravy, however if you want to store it for later consumption, refrigerate it and use it within couple of days. Serve it hot by heating in a pan or with microwave.
- Roast bones / chicken to add flavour and deepen the colour of stock.
- If you want the soup to be spicy add a teaspoon of red chilli powder along with turmeric powder and follow the remaining steps.
- Feel free to add garlic, ginger garlic paste, any herb of your choice – fresh or dried –Coriander, Thyme, basil, oregano, or rosemary, parsley
- Select boney pieces for Chicken Soup.
1.How to make Chicken Soup?
Chicken Soup is a flavoursome mild spicy dish made by simmering chicken in water, tempered spices & ground herbs.
2.Can I make it without coriander leaves?
Yes – you can skip the coriander leaves grinding in the recipe and make it very clear soup! Alternatively you can enjoy Chicken Soup with veggies by adding roughly chopped carrots, cabbage, spinach while adding water in the recipe.
3.How do I make Chicken Soup with chicken flakes?
Chicken with lesser bones & more meaty portion has to be pressure cooked for 5 whistles. Drain and save the chicken stock for serving. Take the bones off and shred the chicken into flakes.Temper onions, garlic, pepper corns and add to the chicken stock & shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes and enjoy Chicken Soup with shredded chicken.
4.Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes very much – allow resting time 10-15 minutes to get it to oom temperature(thawing) before cooking. Also it takes slightly longer time to cook than the fresh ones.
5.Why is my Chicken Soup is green coloured?
Green colour is because of the ground coriander. If you want clear transparent soup, you can skip the coriander leaves. Read variation section to check other options.