Vegetable Bread Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Bread – 6 slices(I used milk bread)
Big Onion – 1 small sized chopped lengthwise
Sweet Corn – 3 tbsp
Carrot – 1 medium sized finely chopped
Green Peas – 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Tomato sauce – 1/2 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 tbsp chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Green Chillies – 1 slitted
- Chop the bread slices into bite sized squares,Set aside.Pressure cook sweet corn,peas and carrot for 3 whistles with very little water,dont drain water…Keep it as such aside.
- In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add onions , fry till transparent then add cooked veggies along with water.Saute for 2mins let it cook till moisture is absorbed completely.
- Add turmeric powder,pepper powder and give a toss then add tomato sauce.
- Give a quick stir, add required salt.Finally add the bread pieces, mix well until the masala coats well.
Garnish with coriander leaves while serving.Serve hot!
- Adding vegetables is of your choice.You can add any of your favourite vegetable.You can even make it plain without adding veggies just plain when you are pressed for time.
- Make sure not to drain cooked water to retain the nutrients of the veggies.
- You can add a pinch of sambar powder too for extra flavour.
- You can replace green chillies with 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
- I used fresh veggies, you can use frozen too….In that case you can just cook it along with onion itself no need to precook it.
- Adding tomato sauce gives a nice tanginess to the upma. You can replace it with lemon juice too.