I recently bought kalpasi which is a very famous Chettinad spice, the flavour the spice lends lifts any nonveg dish to a whole new level, I added this to the gravy today and the aroma of the chicken gravy just filled the house.Thank to one of my readers who introduced me this spice and insisted to try recipes with it.Now lets get on to check how to make this easy chicken gravy….So this is for all the readers who wanted me to post more chicken recipes often 🙂
Chicken Gravy Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Chicken – 150 gms(15 small pieces)
Big Onion – 1/4 cup finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium roughly chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves – just to garnish
Water – 3/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Tomato – 1 big sized
Big Onion – 1 medium sized
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 4 cloves
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cardamom – 2 whole
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a sprig
Red Chilli – 1
Kalpasi(Black Stone Flower) – 1/2 tsp
- Clean chicken, rinse it 2-3 times and finally wash it with turmeric powder.Set aside.In a mixer add the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ and grind it to a fine paste.
- This is kal pasi just for showing the spice, you need to add just a pinch.Now heat oil in a pressure pan – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add onion, tomato and saute for 2mins or or until raw smell leaves.
- Then add the spice powders like turmeric powder,coriander powder,chilli powder and garam masala powders and required salt, fry for a minute.Then add the tomato paste.
- Cook till raw smell of tomato leaves this may take atleast 5mins in low flame.Now add the chicken and saute for 5more mins till the gravy becomes thick more like thokku.
- Now add 3/4 – 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or till chicken turns soft.Omce pressure releases, simmer for 5mins till you get a thick gravy consistency, garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with rice.
- I used naatu koli so it took around 8 whistles to cook.If you use broiler chicken then it may take only less whistles.
- I used my pressure pan to cook this gravy.
- You can use the same recipe for kuzhambu too, just use 1 more tomato and after pressure cooking you can garnish and switch off in kuzhambu consistency.
- Add water quantity according to the gravy consistency.
- Instead of pressure cooking you can even close and cook the chicken.
- Keep sauteing to get a dry chukka version.