Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Rava Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
White Rava – 1 cup
Big Onion – 1 chopped finely
Water – 2.5 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Green Chilli – 1 chopped roughly
- In a kadai – Dry roast rava for 3-5 mins till nice aroma rises, Do this in low medium flame…be careful dont let it brown,Set aside.Heat oil in a kadai – add the items listed under ‘to temper’, let it splutter.
- Then add onions and fry for 2mins then add water along with salt and let it boil. Once it starts to bubble and boil, add rava slowly in a sprinkled manner, stirring simultaneously.Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps, just break it with the laddle if it forms.
- It will start to splutter at this stage, just a word of caution for first timers 🙂 Mix well it will look more like porridge consistency but the white color of rava should have changed by now which shows rava is cooked. Then close it with a lid and cook for 5mins or till it becomes fluffy.Switch off at this stage.
Serve it hot with sugar and curd as sidedish or any spicy chutney!
- Water level depends purely on the consistency you want the upma to be….We like ours a bit fluffy more like idli upma consistency so added 2.5 cups if you want a more gooey upma then add 3 cups of water.
- Cooking covered absorbs the extra moisture making it fluffy.
- You can add vegetables along with this to make it wholesome and healthy.
- I add tomatoes occasionally if you like just go ahead adding it.