Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Green Peas Masala – Restaurant Style Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian| Recipe Reference: PratsCorner
Fresh or Frozen Peas – 1 cup
Onion – 1 small chopped finely
Chana/ chole masala – 1.5 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi – a generous pinch
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To saute and grind:
Tomatoes – 4 medium sized
Onion – 2
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece
Garlic – 5 pearls
Green Chillies – 2
To grind (for the cashewpaste) :
Whole Cashews – 5
Curd – 2 tbsp
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tsp
- Pressure cook peas for 2 whistles and set aside. First grind cashews with curd to a smooth creamy paste, set aside.
- Add a tsp of oil and add the ingredients under ‘to saute and grind’ and saute till tomatoes turn mushy. Cool down and grind it a fine paste.
- Heat butter,add the items under ‘to temper’ add onion and saute till slightly browned. Then add the tomato paste and saute.
- Saute for 3-5mins then add channa masala,red chilli powder and required salt. Add water as required to bring it a running consistency. Allow it to boil for 2 mins. Then add the cashew paste and give a quick stir.
- Add cooked peas, sugar and cook in low flame for 5mins.Then add kasoori methi and coriander leaves and switch it off.
- You can even add curry leaves while tempering which gives a nice flavour too.
- Use kashmiri red chilli powder for a dark red color as in restaurants.
- Channa masala powder gives a great flavour to the gravy.
- This is medium spicy , adjust chilli powder according to your taste.
- For the peas or any green vegetable to stay green, after pressure cook release the pressure manually and open it. This way the veggies will stay green while adding in gravies – Got this tip from my cousin and it worked too.