Pepper Chicken Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Chicken – 400 gms
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Tomato – 1 finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp chopped finely
To roast and grind:
Pepper – 1.5 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
Curry leaves – 10
Green Chillies – 1 chopped
- Dry roast the ingredients under the list ‘to roast and grind’ till slightly browned and grind it to a coarse powder(I used my hand motar pestle to do that). Keep aside. In a pressure cooker heat oil – add onion and ginger garlic paste and saute till slightly browned.
- Then add tomato and fry till its mushy and raw smell leaves. Add the turmeric,red chilli, coriander and half of the coarse pepper powder along with chicken pieces and fry well till raw smell leaves. Saute till chicken is well blended with the spices.
- Then add water till immersing level say 1 cup along with salt and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai and add the items under ‘to temper’ then add pressure cooked chicken.
- Add the remaining pepper fennel powder and saute till it becomes semi dry.Taste and adjust salt.Add chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
This is a spicy curry and I served it with rice and chicken kuzhambu. I love it with rotis too.
- This is a dry curry and suits well with rice or even rotis.
- Adding freshly ground pepper powder gives a nice flavour but check the spice level before adding it.