Kulfi is a frozen creamy dessert with milk and nuts as base.There are different types of Kulfi Recipes, I have already posted basic kulfi /malai kulfi and mango kulfi recipes so this is another take to the basic kulfi recipe.
I am really not sure why it is called ‘Kulfi icecream’ , it should be just ‘Kulfi Ice‘ yes there is difference between icecream and ice. Icecream is very soft and creamy that will melt in your mouth whereas ice / popsicle has the frozen crystals while biting into.
Kesar Badam Kulfi Recipe
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Full Cream Milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Badam – 10 nos
Pista – 5 nos +1 tsp chopped
Cardamom – 1 whole
Saffron – a generous pinch
Condensed Milk – 1 tbsp
- Soak badam for few mins in hot water.Peel the skin.In a blender take sugar,almonds,pista,cardamom and saffron.
- Grind it to a coarse mixture.Boil milk in a pan and simmer for 15-20mins.stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Keep stirring.When it becomes thick and creamy add sugar nuts mixture and simmer.
- Add condensed milk and simmer for 5mins untilit becomes thick and coats the laddle.Switch off and cool down completely.
- Then pour it in kulfi moulds / popsicle moulds…I used only popsicle moulds that suited kulfi ice shape.I poured in 3, inserted icecream sticks other 3 I poured in another mould.Cover it with silver foil then freeze for an hr.Then insert icecream sticks and freeze it for atleast 6 hrs.Then show the mould in running tap water then gently pull the sticks to remove the kulfis.
- You can grind the nuts coarsely, I made it fine just for mittus sake else she will start picking up the nuts to discard them.
- I recommend using full fat cream milk , don’t use low fat milk.
- Dont have a popsicle mould?! dont worry use disposable plastic cups or even thick paper cups cling wrap aluminium foil and us icecream sticks and freeze it.It demoulds easily or you can even cut the cups,tear it to get the popsicles out.
- If you are serving only 2-3 popsicles and want the rest to be stored then again close it with aluminum foil and freeze it.
- For easy demoulding – show the popsicle moulds in running tap water, then pull the stick out slowly to get the ice pops clean.