I am always bowled out by the idea of layered desserts so when I saw this in Vegbowl I know I'm surely going to try. Verrines are layered desserts in a small glass - the variation of layering is endless either sweet or savoury. I felt I didnt get the layers evenly but I say this is truely luxury in a shot glass :)
- Mix custard powder in 1/4 cup milk, mix well and keep aside. Heat the remaining milk with sugar, bring it to a boil and then add the custard powder milk mixture to it.
- Stir continuosly so that no lumps are formed. This will thicken up soon so keep stirring.
- When the mixture starts bubbling and looks thickened(if you pour, it should not be runny) switch off. Allow it to cool down completely.
- Now to assemble the verrines add a tbsp of prepared vanilla custard alternating it with a tbsp of mango pulp till it reaches the brim of the glasses. Add the chopped cherries in top.
- Refrigerate the verrines atleast for an hr and serve chilled.
- The custard seems to thicken very faster, so keep an eye and stir continuosly to avoid lumps.
- The topping is of your choice, you can also add in nuts of your choice.
- You can use 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream but I used milk as it was readily available in my kitchen as yes I was calorie conscious and also had the extra serving in mind when milk was used :)
- Adjust sugar according to the sweetness of the mangoes and to ur taste.
- The alternating flavours in every spoon was very yummy.
Layered desserts are my fav both preparing and eating :) I usually make my desserts in a small glass as desserts are mostly had after our heavy lunch on sundays. Vanilla and mango flavours are always a winning combination and this one is no exception to it.
I always look forward for new interesting dessert ideas while hosting a dinner or lunch. And my choice is always a low fat one to help another serving.
Other Verrines Ideas:
- Strawberry yogurt verrines
- Coffee and vanilla
- Chocolate and vanilla
You can use the same base of vanilla flavoured custard powder and add coco powder or any other flavour accordingly.