Sweet potato puree for babies
Sweet potato puree which can be given to babies after 8 months.
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 3/4 to 1 cup water
- a very tiny pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
Trim the edges first then scrap the skin.Cut into round slices.
Rinse it well, then transfer it to a sauce pan.Add water.
Let it cook in low flame.
Cook covered until it becomes soft and mushy. Do not drain the water.Let it cool down for a while.
Puree it to a fine or coarse paste according to your preference.I made it semi fine.I used my blender to puree it, you can use mixie too.Feed immediately.
- Sweet potatoes can be steamed/baked too.You can even pressure cook them with skin for about 2-3 whistles,then remove the skin and puree it.
- Do not drain the water after cooking. Use that water to make the puree.
- The texture can vary according to your preference.You can blend using mixie for a fine puree, for semi fine use a blender and you can handmash it too.
- Choose a fresh, firm sweet potato
- Red variety is preferred as its more sweeter.
- After cutting the sweet potato immediately add it to water to avoid them from turning dull/black.
- I added a pinch of homemade turmeric powder just to avoid dull color and amma insisted to add as it gives a mild flavour to the puree.But you can skip it too.