And I should admit it took more time for making idli, sambar and arranging for the click than the time taken to make coconut chutney 🙂 yes it is that simple and quick to make.
Coconut Chutney Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Coconut(grated) – heaped 1/2 cup
Roasted gram dal(Potukadalai) – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 1 small
Water – as required
Salt – 1/8 tsp(adjust)
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Split urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – around 8 to 10
- Take grated coconut(dont scrap the brown part) along with roasted gram dal, green chillies with required water and grind it to a smooth paste. Add water later so that you can adjust. Make it loose or thick as per your preference.
- Heat oil and add the items under ‘to temper’ and allow them to crackle. Transfer it the chutney, add required salt and mix well.
The color difference of the chutney is due to the lighting in the kitchen.
- You can have so many variations..while tempering add 1 red chillies.
- While grinding you can add garlic / ginger to have the flavoured coconut chutney
- Tamarind is also a nice variation.You can also fresh coriander leaves.
- I wanted my chutney white like in hotels so added less gram dal, you can adjust it according to your liking too. If you are not worried about the color and flavour then add 3-4 tsp of roasted gram dal in total.
- You can have many variations like adding tamarind,garlic,onion, tomato, red chillies etc.