Ulundu Vadai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Urad dal / Ulutham paruppu (no skin variety) – 1 cup
Green chillies – 1 finely chopped
Small onion – 15 finely chopped
Curry leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped (optional)
Jeera – 1/2 tsp crushed (optional)
Pepper – 1/4 tsp crushed (optional)
Salt – to taste
Water – as required
Curry leaves – few
Hing – a small pinch
Green Chillies -1 long variety chopped roughly
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour at least. Drain water and keep aside (I usually drain the water completely and then sprinkle little by little while grinding , doing so you can be sure of the quantity of water).Now grind it to a fluffy texture sprinkling water now and then. Dont add much water as the batter will become runny. Once the batter is ready, add chopped onions, jeera, pepper, coriander, curry leaves, chillies and required salt to the batter, mix well and keep aside.
- The batter should be thick.Heat oil in a kadai. Take a polythene sheet or milk cover slightly greased with a drop of oil. Wet ur right hand, then make a small ball out of the batter and pat it on the milk cover. Now make a hole in the middle and carefully transfer it to the kadai( It only comes by practise,I havent mastered it too so keep it trying :))
- Fry the vadai in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes firm. Take out and drain it in a tissue once it becomes golden brown on both sides.
You can have it as such or with coconut chutney. My option is to dunk it in sambar and then have it….Yummy combination!! Other than sambar vadai I luv it dunked in payasam, it is another yum combo. I used to reserve vadais at the last for this reason 🙂
Thats amma making the medu vada 🙂
- Wet ur hands now and then before making balls to avoid stickiness. Once you master this, you can try with simply making vadas with your hands without polythene cover which is messfree too.
- While grinding, add water little by little, If the batter becomes runny the vadas will drink more oil. For perfect crispy and soft vadas the batter should in correct consistency.
- Incase your batter becomes runny add little rice flour say 1 -2 tsp not more than that.
We always make this vadai when there is any padayal at home. Other than that, a perfect guest traditional meal is incomplete without this vadai.