I love puli sadam/ tamarind rice be it puliyodharai or puliyogare anything tangy I just love it.This is ammas recipe for puli sadam that I wanted to post and finally the travel series has pushed me to put this post now.Puli Sadam is best for lunchbox and for travel as it doesn’t get spoiled easily, also the resting time enhances the flavour of puli sadam, yes try it and see.
Puli Sadam Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Cooked Rice – 2 cups
Tamarind – 1/4 cup loosely packed
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Jaggery Syrup – 2 tsp(optional)
Peanuts – 3 tbsp
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Hing -a generous pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Red Chillies – 3
Curry Leaves – few
- Dry roast peanuts until golden.Soak tamarind in 1 cup water,mash it well with your hands and Set aside.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds in a pan until golden then using a mortar and pestle crush it to a coarse powder.Set aside.
- Heat oil – add mustard seeds and urad dal let it splutter.Add red chillies, curry leaves,turmeric powder and hing.Saute for a minute.
- Strain and add tamarind pulp.Let it boil.Cook in medium flame.
- Cook till it becomes thick.Then add fenugreek powder and cook for 2mins.
- Finally add jaggery syrup mix well and cook for few more mins till it becomes like a thokku(thick),then switch off.Add cooked rice along with roasted peanuts and mix well.
Serve hot / warm.
- You can replace urad dal with channa dal too.
- If you are using fresh cookoed rice then spread it in a plate and cool down completely then add it.
- You can make the thokku the previous day and refrigerate it.It keeps well atleast for 3-4 days if refrigerated.