Last Updated on December 7, 2020
coriander chutney and sambar
Ven Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Split Moong Dhal – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Water – 4 cups
Cashews – 6 halved
Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Jeera – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2 small slitted
Ginger – 1/2 tbsp chopped finely
Curry leaves – few
Hing(Perungayam) – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Dry roast moong dhal until slightly browned, set aside with raw rice. You can soak rice and dhal for 30mins(optional, I didnt do). Pressure cook rice and moong dhal with 4 cups of water for 3-4 whistles until mushy.
- Meanwhile you can get ready with the tempering ingredients. First add little ghee and fry the cashews, set aside. In the same kadai add oil and the ingredients under ‘to temper’ and fry for 2mins.
- Add hing and salt, give a quick stir. Once the pressure releases, open and add the tempered items, cashews to the cooked pongal. Mix well, add ghee finally.
Serve hot with chutney of your choice and sambar. I had clicked pongal twice before this but was not satisfied and finally this was ok to go 🙂
- Soaking dhal and raw rice helps in cooking faster and even .
- Amma always roasts the moong dhal as it gives a nice flavour to the pongal
- Adjust water according to the rice variety.