Curd Rice Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Thick curd – 1 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup(boiled and cooled)
Butter – 2 tsp
Carrot – 1.5 tbsp (chopped finely)
Coriander leaves – 1/2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Ginger – 1 tsp (chopped finely)
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 3/4 tsp
Green chilli – 1 chopped finely
Hing – a generous pinch
Curry leaves – a sprig
- Rinse rice twice and pressure cook rice with 2 cups of water for 4 whistles. Once pressure releases, allow the rice to cool a bit, Then mash the rice along with butter and curd. Mix well then add milk, mix to form a creamy mixture. Sprinkle little water if you prefer. Then heat oil in a kadai then add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add the tempered items to the curd rice mixture. Add carrot, coriander leaves, ginger, required salt and give a quick stir.
Serve warm or chilled as per your preference.
- Make sure to cool down the rice before you add curd.
- If you prefer to add any seasonal fruits then add pomegranate and grapes which are apt for curd rice.
- You can also add raisins and cashews along with the tempering.
- Milk is added to avoid sourness when prepared in advance like while we pack it for lunch.I love it cold so used chilled curd.
- For a creamy version of curd rice, use thick curd.