Last year I posted the full Onam Sadya Menu.As I am already exhausted cooking,clicking for festivals from august,I thought will skip sadya lunch this year only then I remembered last year he enjoyed the sadya and asked if I could make it often,which is very rare in his case so felt determined to make it this time too.I first quickly planned the menu,listed down the items and gave him,he promptly bought all the items.But this year I was not at all tensed as most of the items are familiar to me now so I understand it all comes by practise.I just made the pickles and boiled few veggies the previous day, then everything else I did on the serving day itself.The menu may look complicated but its easy only.
Thanks to hubby who took pains to get me all the ingredients,especially the banana leaf…He went twice and spent so much time to select one banana leaf as per my requirements 🙂 He skipped the Residency treat with his office colleagues just to have this sadya…felt really happy and content after serving and seeing the reaction on his face while eating 🙂
And as usual I settled with only my favs…:)
Onam Sadya Lunch Menu
Recipe Category: Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
|Pickles,Chips and Others||Main||Sidedishes|
|Sharkara Upperi||Rice||Kootu Curry|
|Nendran Chips||Parippu Curry||Olan|
|Instant Mango Pickle||Sambar||Beetroot Thoran|
- Day 1 – Planning the menu, Shopping for groceries and vegetables required.I made pickles.Soaked the pulses early morning.Later evening grated coconut, boiled and kept the vegetables ready.I boiled the vegetables, cooled it completely then stored in dabbas and refrigerated it.
- Day 2 – Cooked the sadya menu and clicked 🙂
- If you can you can go in person to get the ingredients else send someone with a proper detailed list as I did 🙂
- Morning I soaked the pulses then finished the pickles.
- Took a quick nap then started around 4 PM in the evening started to chop and boil the vegetables.Use pressure cooker compartments if you have it.
- Except for ashgourd,vendakkai and beetroot I boiled all other vegetables.I grated beetroot and refrigerated it.
- Set aside to cool the boiled vegetables completely then store in clean containers, label them and refrigerate it.
- First take bath, chose to have a simple but filling breakfast which will keep you energised till you finish cooking the sadya.
- The first thing I did was to grind coconut green chillies and cumin together in bulk as most dishes had the same base.
- I started with Parippu Curry,Sambar,Rasam.Then came to the veggie sidedishes, as most of my veggies were cooked my work got easier.
- While the veggies were cooking, I kept the rice as matta rice takes longer to cook.By now you would have got an hold and everything will fall in place.Initially it will look like its picking up slow but when you come to the veggies part, it will get over soon.
- Finally came to the payasam part.At the time of serving fried the papads.