Beetroot Thoran was on my pending list since few years.Today I made it and enjoyed it with Rice and Sambar,yum combo I say.I got this recipe from my neighbor today and atonce tried it,the coconut oil flavour with beetroot is sure a winning combination.
On the personal front, its getting busier and busier day by say with gugu growing up, only a tail is missing for him 😉 You can understand by the odd timing I post recipes these days.Its 10PM here and still this boy is wide awake :(, have asked hubby to baby sit for a while, till I post this recipe….Ahh Got to go now…catch u soon with another Onam Sadya Recipe.
Beetroot Thoran Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Beetroot – 1 (1 cup grated)
Turmeric powder – a tiny pinch
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
To grind to a coarse mixture:
Small Onion – 2 sliced
Garlic – 1 sliced
Curry Leaves – 2
Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli – 1 slitted
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
- Trim both the edges of beetroot,scrap the skin.Grate it using a thin slice grater,Set aside.Gather all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ and add it to the mixer jar.
- Grind it to a coarse mixture,Set aside.In a pan heat coconut oil, add the items listed under ‘To temper’ let it splutter.Then add grated beets,
- Saute for few mins.Add turmeric powder.Cook until raw smell leaves and it starts to shrink
- Now sprinkle little water and cook covered for 5mins, stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Once beets is cooked soft,add coconut mixture and required salt.Keep cooking for 5mins.
- Once you see the coconut mixture nicely blended with the veggie,drizzle coconut oil and switch off.
Serve hot / warm with rice and sambar or with any variety rice.
- Adding turmeric powder retains the bright red color.
- Do not add more water,just sprinkle and cook covered to avoid the veggie becoming mushy.
- Adding coconut oil gives a great flavour to the curry.
- Adjust green chillies according to the sweetness of beets you are using.
- I used thin grater, you can even chop it finely.