Kootu Curry Recipe a very famous traditional onam sadya recipe made with yam,green plantain and black channa.
Kottu curry recipe with step by step pictures and video.Kootu Curry is a very famous traditional onam sadya recipe. It serves as a great side dish with rice, dal / sambar or even with plain steamed rice.
Do try this tasty kootu curry made with a combination of veggies like yam,green plaintain and black channa.
I wanted to wrap up all the left out onam sadya recipes which I haven’t posted so far, so that atleast by next year I shall post the whole sadya menu hopefully. I am a bit slow in cooking so for clicking sake I limit myself to just 2-3 items and thats the reason I am a bit hesitant in posting the whole onam sadya but I am making myself prepared to post it atleast by next year….fingers crossed 😮 I am happy to have covered almost all leftover sadya recipes this year all in one go…it was a bit hectic week but happy and proud to have finished them…ok lets say about to finish yeah still have 1 more recipe to click tomorrow ;)I always make it a point to be extra careful while trying out other region cuisines….it becomes challenging as I am not even sure of the perfect color,texture or taste while cooking recipes that I havent tasted at all but then ask my friends,neighbours about the recipe in detail to present it here.
Kootu curry recipe video
- Remove the skin of raw banana,yam and chop them into bite sized pieces.Cook it with enough water along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and little salt(You can even pressure cook for 2 whistles)…The veggies should be cooked soft.
- Soak channa overnight and pressure cook for 5 whistles or until soft.Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a semi fine paste.Set aside.
- Now in a pan add cooked veggies along with black channa, add the coconut paste, check for salt and adjust accordingly and sprinkle little water.Dont add more water.Saute till raw smell of coconut leaves.While it gets sauted prepare the tadka – heat coconut oil in a tadka pan add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Dry roast coconut till dark reddish golden brown.Once the coconut raw smell leaves from the curry and the curry becomes like a thick curry add roasted coconut and tadka tempering to the curry, mix well and switch off.
Garnish with roasted coconut.Serve hot with rice,sambar and papadam.
- The consistency should be thick so don’t add more water.
- You can also use other vegetables like ashgourd,yellow pumpkin etc.
- I have heard that some recipes even use bengal gram(kadala paruppu).Its like each part of Kerala uses a different recipe.