Vendakkai Thayir Pachadi Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Vendakkai(Bhindi/Ladies Finger) – 10
Thick Curd – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli – 2 small
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Rinse bhindi well to remove the dirt on the outer skin if any.Wipe off with a tissue paper to remove moisture. Trim both the edges.
- Slice them thin as thin as possible.I used a knife, if you have a slicer you can use it too.
- Saute with little oil, keep cooking in low flame.Saute till it becomes slightly crisp, browned here and there, it will be nonsticky.It will take atleast 10-15mins in low flame, keep turning over for even roasting.Then switch off.
- Beat curd with a whisk and Set aside.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Add salt to curd then add roasted bhindi.
- Add the tadka ingredients, give a quick mix and serve.
- Whisk the curd well.
- Wipe it off with tissue paper well before slicing, this is one the keys to reduce slimminess.
- Slow cook for even roasting and to avoid burning.I used my cast iron skillet.
- I reserved a little of the tempering for garnish which actually was good while eating as the crunch was there.
- You can even deep fry bhindi.