Mezhupuratti is a kerala style simple stir fry where the vegetables are blanched and then blended with onion garlic paste seasoned with coconut oil.’Mezhukku’ means ‘oil’ in Malayalam & ‘Puratti’ means ‘smear’ so that explains it all.
Mezhukkupuratti can be made with many vegetables but the popular ones being Kaya, Kaya(Raw Banana),Chena(Elephant Yam),Carrot,Achinga Payar(Long Kaya) etc.
Kaya Mezhukkupuratti Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Raw Banana – 1 small sized
Salt – to taste
Small Onion – 4
Garlic Pearls – 2 cloves finely chopped
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
- Rinse raw banana, trim the edges and peel of the skin and cut them into thin strips.Keep immersed in water else it will get dark.In a pan cook raw banana along with water,salt and turmeric powder, cook until soft but not mushy,Set aside.In a pan heat oil – add mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter.
- Then add chopped garlic and saute till slightly browned then add onion and saute till transparent.Add required salt,red chilli powder and garam masala powder, fry well till the raw smell of the spice powders leave.
- Sprinkle little water and add cooked raw banana , toss it over.
Serve hot / warm with rice and dal or with any variety rice.
- Dont add more water while cooking raw banana, cook till just done not too mushy.
- Tempering with coconut oil is must for this recipe.
- Dont cook for more time after raw banana is added, just toss around thats enough.
- The final dish should be slightly moist and not too dry.