Gothambu Payasam is one of the special payasam recipes that we can make for Onam.I have just started to post Onam Recipes, not much of recipes this year as I have posted most of them already……so just few of the missed recipes.I haven’t experimented much with broken wheat, I make upma or kanji with it but never knew a payasam can be made with broken wheat until I saw it in a Onam Sadya Menu.I love the addition of coconut pieces in this payasam which adds a good amount of crunch while eating, so don’t miss to add it.
Broken Wheat Payasam
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Broken Wheat – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Thick Coconut Milk – 1/3 cup
Ghee – 2 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp
Cashews – 4 whole broken
- Measure broken wheat, take a pressure cooker heat ghee and add broken wheat and roast for 3-5 mins.Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles in low medium flame.
- Once pressure releases fluff it up and set aside.Heat jaggery syrup, add cooked broken wheat and let it simmer.
- First it will look seperated.Slowly it will mush up and blend well with jaggery syrup.Keep the flame in lowest flame possible and add milk.Keep stirring.Let it cook for another 8-10mins in low flame.
- Finally add coconut milk, ghee when it starts to boil switch off immediately.In a tadka pan add coconut pieces and fry till golden brown.
- Then fry cashews till golden and add both fried coconut and cashews to the payasam and mix well.
Serve hot / warm!
- Cook broken wheat until soft but not too mushy as we are cooking it again for sometime in milk and jaggery.
- You can even try this payasam with wheat rava.
- When milk is added to hot jaggery syrup there are chances for curdling so keep the flame in low then add milk.
- Adding coconut milk is not must but sure adds great flavour to the payasam.
- You can even add ghee fried raisins to the payasam.