Tomato Rasam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian| Reference : NisaHomey
Tomato – 2 small
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Cooked Toor Dal – 1 heaped tsp(optional)
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind – small lemon size soaked in water
Hing – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – to garnish
Salt – to taste
To grind coarsely:
Coriander seeds – 1.5 tsp
Whole black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Garlic – 3 cloves roughly chopped
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – a pinch
Whole Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Dry roast garlic,ginger,pepper,coriander seeds till nice aroma rises.Then coarsely grind it in a blender,Set aside.
- Chop 2 small tomatoes.Transfer it to a kadai, crush tomatoes with your hands, add 1/2 cup water along with turmeric and red chilli powder.Let it boil in sim for 5mins till raw smell leaves.Add required salt.
- Once tomatoes turn mushy and raw smell completely leaves, add hing.Then add the pepper jeera mixture and let it boil for 3mins.Then add tamarind water.
- Add 1 cup water(adjust water according to the thickness).Boil for a good 5-7mins until raw smell leaves.It will start to froth.
- Add dal and let it froth.Meanwhile in a tadka pan heat coconut oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Add the tadka to the rasam.Finally garnish with generous sprinkle of coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with rice and papad…yummm!!
- Don’t let rasam boil for more time which will spoil the taste.In specific after dal is added do not boil more.
- Adding dal is purely optional but gives more flavour.I used one bangalore tomato and one country tomato.Country tomato gives a tangy taste to the rasam.