I love both jaggery version and sugar version.With homemade ada I am sure it would taste even more good, so if you have time please try to make ada at home then try this payasam.But if you are like pressed for time then get readymade ada,I used Double Horse brand ada.
Ada Pradhaman Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
- I bought the brand named double horse for ada from Nilgiris , later found it was a trusted kerala brand, the store bought ada was very tiny. Soak ada in water for 15mins, then rinse it well.,Boil water(just and then add the ada and cook until soft. It should only be slightly soft as it will again get cooked with the jaggery syrup and coconut milk.Drain water and set aside.
- Now add jaggery syrup.Let it boil until its thick.Now add soaked ada.
- Cook till soft and jaggery syrup is absorbed well.At this stage add thin coconut milk and cook for few mins.
- Let the mixture become thick.Then add first thick coconut milk little by little.I added 1/2 cup at a time.
- Let it cook in sim for 2mins.Add cardamom powder and switch off.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tsp ghee – fry coconut pieces till golden brown , then add cashews and fry till golden , Add coconut pieces and cashews to the payasam.
- Add remaining 1/2 tsp ghee and switch off.
The flavour of coconut milk with the rice ada tastes divine that I coudnt stop with one cup 🙂 Next n my todo list is the pal ada prathaman with sugar.
- The color of the prathaman light brown or dark brown mainly depends on the jaggery variety.I used normal jaggery if you use paagu vellam you may get the dark brown color.
- The store bought ada is very tiny and cooks faster so take care not to mush it up.
- The consistency of the payasam while switching off should be semi thick as it thickens with time later, you can add little milk to make it payasam consistency while serving if you feel thick.
- You can add even raisins while frying cashews and add it to the prathaman. Adding ghee fried coconut pieces will be even more rich.