Beans Thoran is an aromatic & healthy side dish made by stir frying beans with coconut, onions, spices & herbs. This is a popular Kerala side dish that is easy to make and relished with rice meal. Beans Thoran recipe with beetroot is explained in this post with step by step pictures.
A simple kerala style stir fry made with french beans.Beans thoran is served as a side dish for rice and curry. In kerala, thoran is a popular stir fry made with vegetables like cabbage,beans,carrot etc. and coconut.This Beans Thoran is easy and quick to make for a weekday meal, pairs up well with rice and curry.
Tried this ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
- 25 nos french beans (1 and 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1/3 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 nos red chillies
- a small sprig curry leaves
- 3 tablespoon grated coconut
- 4 nos small onion
- 1 no green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Trim the edges and chop the beans finely, Set aside.
- In a pan - heat oil in a pan add the items listed under 'to temper', let it crackle.
- Then add chopped beans. Saute for few mins.
- Meanwhile grind together the ingredients listed under 'to grind' to a coarse mixture without adding water. Add it to the pan.
- Cook for 3-5 mins in low flame till raw smell leaves. Add water.
- Cook covered for few mins until beans turn soft. You may sprinkle little more water if needed.
- Stir, fluff it up and cook until the moisture leaves. Switch off. Serve Beans Thoran with the rice meal!
How to make Beans Thoran
- Trim the edges and chop the beans finely as shown in the pic,Set aside.In a pan – heat oil in a pan add the items listed under ‘to temper’, let it crackle.Then add chopped beans.Saute for few mins.
- Meanwhile grind together the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a coarse mixture without adding water.Add it to the pan.
- Cook for 3-5 mins in low flame till raw smell leaves.Add water.
- Cook covered for few mins until beans turn soft.You may sprinkle little more water if needed.Stir,fluff it up and cook until the moisture leaves.Switch off.
Serve with rice and curry.
Enjoy with rice and curry of your choice.