Semiya Upma or Vermicelli Upma is a light, delicious dish made by dry roasting semiya & then cooking it with tempered onion, spices made with or without vegetables. Semiya Upma can be done easily & quickly in minutes. Vermicelli Upma recipe is explained in this post with step by step pictures & video.
Semiya Upma also known as Vermicelli Upma is a quick and easy to prepare tasty breakfast.
About Semiya Upma
Semiya Upma is an effortless, wholesome dish that can be cooked in minutes. I have flopped semiya upma at my early days of cooking by making it sticky & mushy and got it perfected with tips from my aunt & practice.
Semiya Upma is a popular tiffin in South India which come handy when we run dry of idli / dosa batter, wheat flour or veggies. Semiya Upma is one of the dish that can be tried by beginners, bachelors and at times when you want to make cooking simple.
Semiya Upma or Vermicelli Upma?
Vermicelli is a type of pasta originated from Italy got popular in South India with its taste & variety of dishthat could be prepared in minutes. Upma, Kichadi, Kheer, Kesari, Payasam, Biryani, Popsicle, Falooda and a lot more is prepared with Vermicelli.
Vermicelli is christened with different names in different regions of India. Semiya (South India), Seviyan (Hindi), Shemai (Bengali), Simei (Odia), Sev (Gujarati) all mean one and the same Semiya!
Semiya Upma – Which one to choose – roasted variety or regular variety?
Semiya Upma recipe needs roasting of both roasted ®ular varieties of semiya till golden brown. However the difference lies in the cooking time, texture & taste. Roasted variety is thin, short, needs lesser cooking time & tastes better for Upma. Regular (unroasted) variety of semiya is slightly thick, long, takes slightly more time to cook & tastes better for Kheer, Payasam & Biryani.
Nonsticky Fluffy Semiya Upma
I know making semiya upma is no big deal but to get the perfect nonsticky fluffy upma every time few tips are really helpful. First of all roasting in low flame is the key for nonsticky upma. Secondly, for 1 cup semiya add 1.5 cups water. Once semiya is added cook covered until all the moisture is absorbed only then fluff the upma. It may look sticky initially but after few mins of switching off it will become separated so do not overcook.
Semiya Upma Ingredients
- Semiya / Vermicelli : I have used store bought unroasted vermicelli variety for this recipe. Semiya is available with maida, rava (hard wheat / semolina) as ingredients. Choose the one you prefer or the available variety. Use 1.5 cups of water for 1 cup of semiya if you are making Semiya Upma without veggies and use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of semiya if you are making semiya upma with veggies.
- Veggies: I have used carrots, peas, beans for the veggie Semiya Upma. You can add cauliflower, broccolias well. If you are adding potatoes, make sure to boil them and then add. I have used 1 green chilli for mild spiciness, you can add 1 or 2 more based on your taste preferences. Onion, ginger, curry leaves and coriander leaves for garnishing is added for goodness, taste & flavours.
- Spices and Oil : Semiya Upma recipe needs a simple tempering with urad dal, mustard seeds and hing in regular refined oil / gingelly oil / groundnut oil.
Tried this semiya upma recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma
- 1 cup semiya (vermicelli)
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium sized big onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 10 nos cashews
- 2 teaspoon coriander leaves chopped finely
- salt to taste
To temper :
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
- a small sprig curry leaves
- 2 nos green chilli slitted
- Add 1/2 teaspoon oil along with 1 cup vermicelli. Roast until slightly golden. Roast until slightly golden. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan add cashews and fry until golden.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon urad dal, 1/2 teaspoon chana dal along with chopped 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 2 green chillies and few curry leaves.
- Give a quick saute.
- Now add 1 medium sized onion finely chopped along with salt.
- Saute until transparent.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups water let it boil. I usually use 1:1.5 ratio that is for 1 cup vermicelli I add 1.5 cups water which will be perfect.
- Now add roasted vermicelli, give a quick mix.
- Cook covered until all the water is absorbed. Cook in low medium flame.
- Once all the water is absorbed open and fluff the upma. Finally add fried cashews and chopped coriander leaves. Semiya will look sticky at this stage but after cooling down it will get separated. Incase if you have added more water then cook covered in medium high flame.
- Give a quick mix and switch off. Semiya Upma ready!
- Take care while roasting, do not over roast, Make sure you roast the vermicelli only in low medium flame to avoid over roasting. if roasting is perfect then your semiya upma will not be sticky else it will stick and become mushy.
- You can use any of your favorite veggies too.
- You can even add 1 small tomato for a tangy flavour.
- I used Anil Semiya this time..I don’t have a specific brand of semiya that I buy so have tried MTR, Pillsbury etc. Anil Semiya is little fine than the other variety so I find it perfect for my upma and payasam. You can even add a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice for a lemony flavour.
Semiya Upma Step by Step
1.Add 1/2 teaspoon oil along with 1 cup vermicelli. Roast until slightly golden. Roast until slightly golden.Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2.Heat ghee in a pan add cashews and fry until golden.
3.Add remaining 1 and 1/2 teaspoon oil then add mustard seeds let it splutter add cumin seeds let it crackle.
4.Add 1/2 teaspoon urad dal, 1/2 teaspoon chana dal along with chopped 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 2 green chillies and few curry leaves.
5.Give a quick saute.
6.Now add 1 medium sized onion finely chopped along with salt.
7.Saute until transparent.
8.Add 1 and 1/2 cups water let it boil. I usually use 1:1.5 ratio that is for 1 cup vemicelli I add 1.5 cups water which will be perfect.
9.Now add roasted vermicelli, give a quick mix.
10.Cook covered until all the water is absorbed. Cook in low medium flame.
11.Once all the water is absorbed open and fluff the upma. Finally add fried cashews and chopped coriander leaves. Semiya will look sticky at this stage but after cooling down it will get separated. Incase if you have added more water then cook covered in medium high flame.
12.Give a quick mix and switch off.
Enjoy it hot!
Fluffy semiya upma ready.
- Usually I use 1:1.5 ratio but when I addd vegetables use 1:2 for vegetables to cook that extra 1/2 cup will be perfect.
- Take care while roasting semiya by roasting the vermicelli only in low medium flame. This avoids over-roasting of semiya.
- If roasting is perfect then semiya upma will be fluffy, else over-roasting makes semiya sticky and mushy when cooked.
- Water has to be double the quantity of semiya if you are making semiya upma with veggies else slightly more than equal quantity of semiya.
- Add tomato, lemon extract, cashews based on your taste preferences.
- Try Ragi Semiya – a healthier version of semiya upma.
- Add 1 small tomato along with veggies for a tangy flavour.
- Add cashews, peanuts (after roasting & peeled) if you like crunchier upma.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice after switching off for a lemony flavour.
- Add pinch of turmeric powder along with tempering items for color.
Serving & Storage Suggestion
Semiya Upma is a wholesome dish so side dishis not served usually. However if you prefer a side dish, serve with chutney or sambar or sugar / sauce (kids). Semiya upma is a good choice for kids lunch box.
Semiya Upma keeps good for a day – For later use within the day, refrigerate and reheat it before serving.
Semiya Upma with vegetables
Semiya Upma with veggies included it makes a wholesome and filling breakfast.I have flopped semiya upma quite a few times I should admit…it took me quite sometime to get this semiya upma perfectly. Except for semiya payasam and this upma I haven’t tried any recipes with semiya.
I used fine vermicelli this time.
- 1/2 cup semiya vermicelli
- 1 carrot small chopped finely
- 1/8 cup green peas fresh
- 5 nos beans finely chopped
- 1 big onion chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
- a sprig curry leaves
- 1 green chilli slitted
- a pinch hing
1.In a pan, dry roast vermicelli till its golden in color.Make sure you do this low medium flame so that the vermicelli gets roasted evenly.
2.Collect it in a bowl and set aside.
3.Heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
4.Add onion, saute for a minute.
5.Then add the veggies and required salt.Saute for 5mins. Add required salt.
6.Now add water and let it boil for 3-5 mins until the vegetables are half cooked.
7.Then add roasted vermicelli and give a quick mix.
8.Keep covered, simmer to lowest flame and cook till the vermicelli and the veggies are soft and all the moisture is absorbed.
9.Open and fluff it up.
10.Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot / warm!
1.What is semiya upma?
Semiya Upma or Vermicelli Upma is a light, delicious tiffin made by dry roasting semiya & then cooking it with tempered onion, spices and with or without vegetables.
2.How do you make semiya upma?
- Dry roast semiya till its golden in color.
- Temper spices, onion and saute the veggies for 5 mins.
- Boil water and cook roasted vermicelli in lowest flame till all the moisture is absorbed.
- Fluff it up and garnish with coriander leaves.
3.Why is my semiya upma sticky?
Over-roasting of semiya, addition of more water, maida ingredient semiya tends to be sticky.
4.Which variety of semiya to pick for Semiya Upma?
Choose roasted, wheat or rava ingredient semiya for making Semiya Upma.
5.Is Semiya Upma healthy?
Semiya upma is healthier than noodles but not as healthy as idli or paratha.