Last week when I was conversing in wats app with my aunt she gave me few tips for making the perfect semiya upma and the very next day I tried it and it came out soo good…Only few weeks back I even realised that readers search for semiya upma here…sorry for making you all wait for this long now the wait is over 😉
Semiya Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Semiya(Vermicelli) – 1/2 cup
Carrot – 1 small chopped finely
Fresh Green Peas – 1/8 cup
Beans – 5 nos finely chopped
Big Onion – 1 chopped finely
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp chopped finely
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 tsp finely chopped
Curry leaves- a sprig
Green Chilli – 1 slitted
Hing – a pinch
- In a pan, dry roast vermicelli till its golden in color.Make sure you do this low medium flame so that the vermicelli gets roasted evenly.Collect it in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add onion, saute for a minute.Then add the veggies and required salt.Saute for 5mins.
- Now add water and let it boil for 2mins.Then add roasted vermicelli and give a quick mix.
- Keep covered, simmer to lowest flame and cook till the vermicelli and the veggies are soft and all the moisture is absorbed.Fluff it up and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot / warm!
- Take care while roasting, don’t overroast, Make sure you roast the vermicelli only in low medium flame to avoid overroasting.
- if roasting is perfect then your semiya upma will not be sticky else it will stick and become mushy.
- You can use any of your favorite veggies too.You can even add 1 small tomato for a tangy flavour.
- I used Anil Semiya this time..I don’t have a specific brand of semiya that I buy so have tried MTR,Pillsbury etc.Anil Semiya is little fine than the other variety so I find it perfect for my upma and payasam.
- You can even add a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice for a lemony flavour.