Aval Upma is a quick, easy and healthy breakfast recipe. Aval Upma also known as Poha Upma is a mild tasty dish made by cooking poha with tempered onions, lentils and spices. How to make Aval Upma is explained here in this post with step by step pictures and video.
Aval Upma is a quick and easy to prepare breakfast. Aval Upma could be had as a snack or a wholesome breakfast or dinner by adding cooked veggies to the upma. You can either make it with or without vegetables as you like it.
About Aval Upma
Aval Upma comes very handy when you have less time yo make breakfast or dinner. It comes to rescue when we run out of idli dosa batter and want a quick breakfast fix. Hubby and kids do not complain much as with other upma recipes.
I love the simplicity of this recipe yet it is very tasty and filling too. I love all dishes made with aval or poha can be made quickly and easily.This recipe gets done in 30 minutes and they are healthy too.
Aval Upma made with vegetables is a wholesome and filling if you are making it for breakfast or dinner. You can steam cook the veggies separately and add it or cook the veggies along with the tempering whichever way is easy for you.
Aval upma without vegetables is a quick version made without vegetables can be had for snack. If you want to make a mild tea time snack then you can skip vegetables and add just onion and tempering spices.
Aval Upma Video
Aval Upma Ingredients
- Poha : You can choose either thick poha or thin poha as per the availability and preference. Make sure to soak and drain accordingly that is the key for perfect grain separated poha.
- Vegetables : You can use vegetables like potato, carrot, peas, corn, beans etc. Do not mush the vegetables it should be slightly crunchy.
- Spices : A simple tadka is made using mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies. Turmeric powder is also used for flavor and color.
- Nuts: You can either add peanuts or cashewnuts for the crunch.
- Garnish : Garnish with gcoriander leaves.
Aval Upma Recipe Step by Step
1.Soak 1 cup poha in water for 2-3 mins. I used thick poha (which I had in hand) so I soaked for 3-4 minutes. If its thin poha you can soak it for 2 minutes that is enough else it will become mushy.
2.Drain water rinse it well and set aside.
3.When you press with your fingers it should be soft and not mushy also it should not be stiff. If it is still stiff then soak for 2 more mins. Make sure not to make poha mushy so take care while soaking.
4.Add salt to taste and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder.
5.Mix it well toss for even mixing. Set aside.
6.Heat 2 tablespoon oil – add around 10 cashews. Fry until golden remove and set aside.
7.Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds let it splutter. Then add 1/2 teaspoon urad dal and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
8.Add 2 green chilies, 1 teaspoon ginger(finely chopped), a pinch hing and few curry leaves give a quick saute.
9.Add 1 medium sized onion(finely chopped) along with required salt. Saute until it turns transparent.
10.Add 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup frozen peas.
11.Saute for 1 minute.
12.Cook covered until the veggies are soft but not mushy.
13.Open give a quick saute then add prepared poha.
14.Mix it well.
15.Cook covered for 1 minute.
16.Finally add fried cashews and 1 tablespoon coriander leaves.
17.Give a quick mix and switch off.
Hot aval upma is ready to serve!
- You can even add tomatoes with onions if you like.
- You have lot of variations to this easy upma, skip jeera while tempering add roasted jeera powder.You can even add a pinch of sambar powder or red chili powder.
- Adding veggies is your choice, you can add favorite veggies too.
- You can even add 2 tablespoon of coconut for extra flavor and taste.
- You can even add 1 teaspoon of chana dal while tempering.
- You can replace cashewnuts with peanuts too.
- Soaking time of poha depends on the variety of poha if its thin it takes very less time, if its thick then it needs a little extra time so soak it accordingly.
Serving & Storing Suggestion
Serve it hot as such or with any chutney of your choice.
Poha can be stored for a day in room temperature not exactly a day may be for 10-12 hours depends on your climatic conditions too. After that refrigerate it, and while you serve you can reheat and serve it hot.
1.What is Poha?
Poha is a type of rice dish made from raw, toasted, or parboiled rice grains pounded into flat flakes. They are then dried, roasted, and then flattened with rollers. They usually come in thin, medium, and thick varieties. Poha is also called as flattened rice flakes or aval. Source : Wikipedia
2.What can be served with Aval Upma?
Tried this Aval Upma ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
Aval Upma | Poha Upma
- 1 cup poha (thick variety)
- 10 cashews
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 medium sized big onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- water as needed
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a sprig curry leaves
- a pinch hing
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
- few curry leaves
- 2 green chillies slitted