Last Updated on December 7, 2020
I usually dont talk much here as I am always in short of words but then I am in a mood to write today 🙂 No nothing food related I promise haha 🙂 I am not much of a movie person but love watching movies with good stories and theme. Not that I dont watch other entertainment movies. …I prefer watching my kind of movies even twice or thrice than watching a entertainment movie, yes thats me :oThe tiny tots playschool got closed and from tomorrow her vacation begins. Am sure we will have a tough time to console her as she has already started missing her friends and teachers.Have been thinking of ways to engage her, hopefully the holidays should go smoother for both for us 🙂
Semiya Payasam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Semiya(Vermicelli) – 1 cup
Boiled Milk -2.5 cups
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
Cashews – 5 whole broken roughly
Raisins – 10
Ghee -2 tsp
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cashew and raisins to golden brown. Set aside. In the same pan, roast vermicelli until slightly golden.
- Then add 1 cup milk.Allow it to boil until the vermicelli turns soft.
- Add sugar only after vermicelli gets cooked.The mixture will turn goey mix well then add remaining 1.5 cups milk.
- Add cardamom powder.Let it simmer for its thick and creamy.Then add fried cashews and raisins, and switch off. Serve hot or cold.
Serve hot or chilled as per your preference.
I love the payasam in both ways either warm or cold. Vadai dunked in payasam – heavenly combo.Hubby likes elachi flavour and dislikes the saffron so skipped it. The more the milk simmered, it gives a rich and creamy taste.
- I like the semiya being cooked in milk itself which gives a nice creamy taste o the payasam but alternatively you can cook in water then add milk.
- You can even reduce sugar to 1/2 cup if you are not much sweet toothed.
- You can also use saffron(1tsp) and condensed milk(1 tbsp) for a more unique and rich taste.
- The payasam tends to get thicker as it rests down. So add more milk if you want while serving.
- You can add any nuts of your choice.Skip raisins if its not your preference.