Potato fry is a simple flavourful side dish made with potato or aloo. Potato fry recipe with step by step pictures. It is a perfect combo with rice. Learn to make crispy perfect potato fry with video.
Potato fry is a side dish made with potatoes, herbs and spices. This aloo fry is very simple easy, flavourful and tasty. Most of the stir fry dishes are also called as fry hence the name potato fry though this does not involve any deep frying.
One of the most popular and wanted recipes is this crispy fry. It is an ideal potato based sidedish that goes well with pretty much everything like rice, roti etc.
About potato fry
Generally we make stir fries or curries to go along with rice and sambar and I love it with curd rice. I often make for mittus lunchbox as its quick to make and she loves it too. I pack it along with rasam curd or sambar rice, sometimes she demands phulka and yes its a great combo too.
This aloo fry I have made is more of south indian style tempered with mustard, jeera, curryleaves and flavoured with garlic. For north indian version you can just temper jeera and add kasoori methi, chat masala powder or even amchur powder(dry mango powder). I have used sambar powder for this recipe, but you can replace it with garam masala powder too.
Potato fry | Aloo fry
- 1 heaped cup potato chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil I used gingelly oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- few curry leaves
- 1 no garlic crushed
- a tiny pinch hing
Adjust spice powders according to your liking
- Cut potato into small bite sized cubes, comes to 1 heaped cup.Rinse well, drain water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai - add mustard seeds let it splutter then add jeera, add crushed garlic.Give a quick saute.
- Add potato and saute for 2 mins.Then add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt and sambar powder.
- Saute for 1 minute.Then cook covered for 3-5 mins.
- Check if its cooked, turns soft then its perfectly cooked..Keep stirring in low medium flame.Saute for few more minutes till it has crispy edges.
- Serve hot with rice and curd perfect combo!
- Use a flat pan or slightly curved kadai so that it gets roasted well.I recommend using iron cookware for roasting potatoes. gives a nice crisp edge.
- Add garlic gives nice flavour.
Tried this potato fry recipe? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
How to make potato fry
1.Rinse the potato well, peel of the skin completely. Cut potato into small bite sized cubes.
2.Rinse well, drain water and set aside.Incase if you will make the fry later keep in immersed in water itself.
3.It is around 1 heaped cup.
4.Heat oil in a kadai – add mustard seeds let it splutter then add jeera,let it splutter.
5.Crush ginger using ahand mortar and pestle.
6.Add crushed garlic. Give a quick saute.
8.Saute for few mins until potatoes are slightly cooked.
9.Then add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt and sambar powder
10.Saute for 1 minute.
11.Then cook covered for 3-5 mins. No need to add water, keep stirring inbetween.
12.Check if the potatoes are cooked, prick to check if its soft then its done. Else cook covered for few more mins.
13.Check if its cooked, turns soft then its perfectly cooked. Keep stirring in low medium flame.
14. Saute for few more minutes till it has crispy edges.Switch off.
Serve hot with rice and curd perfect combo!
Small potato fry is a very quick and easy recipe that I usually make for mittus lunchbox to accompany any rice dish or phulka.You can use this recipe either for baby potatoes or with normal potatoes. I usually make with the usual potatoes, slice them thin and toast in dosa tawa which I shared in Instagram few weeks back.Seeing that few of my friends asked for the recipe and it is just a simple idea that I am sharing here, may be it will be useful for few atleast.Check out another potato fry recipe that I posted earlier.
Small Potato – 15
Oil – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Jeera Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
How to make small potato fry
- Rinse baby potatoes well to get rid of dirt.Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.Once pressure releases, peel off the skin and cut into halves only the pieces which you feel is too big.Carefully prick each potato with a toothpick, just few holes is enough.Set aside.In a mixing bowl, add all the spice powders along with salt and oil.
- Mix well.Now add the potatoes and give a quick mix.Let it to marinade for 15mins atleast.
- In a kadai – heat oil add mustard seeds and curry leaves,let it splutter.Then add the potatoes and saute for atleast 5-10mins in low flame till its fried well.If it sticks add little oil and keep sauteing.
Serve with rice / phulka!
- The spice powders measures can be adjusted according to your liking. Add more if you like a more spicy version of potato fry.
- Once you cut the potatoes, keep in immersed in water so that it doesn’t brown.
- You can add lemon juice at the end to give a nice tangy taste.
- Regular potatoes or even baby potatoes can be used for this recipe.
- Use a iron kadai or well seasoned pan so that potatoes do not stick.
- You can even chop the potatoes a bit bigger or the way you like it.
- This potato fry is mildy spiced as keeping kids in mind, so feel free to increase spice powders according to your liking.
- The number of whistles in cooker for small potato depends on the size of small potatoes and also ur cooker so adjust accordingly.
- I used my iron kadai to roast the potatoes and it worked best.
- You can even add a pinch of chat masala powder / jeera powder for extra zing.
1.What is potato fry?
Potato fry is a simple flavourful side dish made with potato or aloo. It makes a great sidedish with roti, rice, variety rice like lemon rice, jeera rice , pulao etc.
2.How to make crispy potato fry?
Cook in low flame, keep sauteing will give crispy potato fry. Also using iron pan or kadai helps and gives a perfect crispy potato fry.
3.Potato fry goes well with?
This potato fry goes well with rice, sambar, dal, jeera rice, lemon rice, tempered rice, chapathi, roti etc. This makes a great combo for wraps and sandwiches as filling. You can use green chutney to spice it up a bit more for wraps and sandwiches along with chat masala powder or amchur powder.