Last Updated on December 7, 2020
I always had the confusion whats the difference between dal fry and dal tadka…and here is my find :
Dal Tadka : The dal is pressure cooked along with onion,tomato first.Then the tadka tempering is done in ghee and added to dal and is ready to be served.Here the tadka tempering is the main flavour given to the dal.
Dal Fry : The dal is pressure cooked first and added with tadka ingredients along with a mixture of onion,tomato ginger and garlic mixture and the dal is boiled for few mins which gives a great flavour.
Dal Tadka Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Masoor Dal – 1/4 cup
Channa Dal – 2 tbsp
Onion -1 chopped finely
Tomato – 1 medium sized chopped roughly
Ginger – 1/2 tsp finely chopped
Garlic – 2 chopped roughly
Green Chilli – 1 slitted
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Hing – a tiny pinch
Jeera – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1 tsp minced
Red Chillies – 1 whole
- Get your dals ready.Mix the dals, rinse it well and soak it for 15mins,Set aside. Meanwhile in a pressure cooker heat oil – add onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli and fry till onion turn golden brown.
- Then add tomatoes and fry till raw smell leaves, add garam masala powder and fry well.Then add dals along with turmeric powder,required salt and 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or until the dal is soft and mushy.Once pressure releases give a quick stir with a laddle.In a tadka pan – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ and fry till garlic turns golden brown.Transfer the tempering to the dal and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice or roti(phulka)!
- While tempering add ghee and oil mixed.After tempering and the dal is mixed well then drizzle a tsp of ghee in the dal.
- Soaking dals is optional but cooks faster and softer.
- The measurement of dal I have given is according to our taste and liking, feel free to experiment.
- The consitency should neither thick nor runny, should be inbetween the 2 as you can see in the pics.
- Adding green chillies and red chillies together gives a great flavour.You can skip the chillies and add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder instead.
- Dal thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.