Tamarind rasam is a basic quick and easy rasam recipe perfect for those lazy days.Through the days of cooking I have learnt the main key to making a good rasam is not to overboil as it loses its flavour.
Tamarind Rasam Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Side Dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Tamarind – gooseberry size
Tomato – 1 small
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Rasam powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Ghee – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Red chillies – 2
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for 20mins,set aside.In a kadai heat a tsp of oil add tomatoes and turmeric powder saute till raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then strain and add the tamarind juice to the kadai.
- Allow it to boil for 3mins until raw smell of tamarind leaves.Then add rasam powder and simmer for a minute. In parallel heat a tadka pan with oil+ghee and temper the items listed under ‘to temper’.
- Add the tempered items to the rasam.Let it come to a rolling boil switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve as a sidedish for rice or have it as such like soups!
- Ghee gives a nice flavour to the rasam so dont skip it.
- Dont let the rasam boil for more time which is the key to make a good rasam.
- Adjust water quantity according to the thickness of the tamarind pulp.
- You can reduce tamarind juice to 1 and 1/2 cups and add 1/2 cup cooked toor dhal water instead.