Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Whole wheat bread recipe or Atta bread recipe with step by step photos – This is my trusted recipe for a basic whole wheat bread or 100% atta bread which uses simple ingredients which we usually have in our kitchen.When I posted this atta bread recipe,many of my friends and readers also asked for a everyday wheat bread recipe which is simple and easy to bake and I stumbled upon this recipe, since then this is my favorite and my family loves it too.
I have been baking this bread at least once a month and finally clicked it yesterday to post it here. Here is a simple whole wheat bread recipe with detailed step by step explanations.
I used homemade atta for making this bread, you can use store bought any good quality 100% wheat flour.I have used instant yeast here, but you can replace it with dry active yeast too, have given measurements for it.homemade bread toast with soups.The texture of the bread is so good, its very chewy and soft perfect to dip in soups.I loved
As we liked crusted tops I usually don’t cover with wet cloth.The bread is slightly crumbly but not very dense as it happens with most whole wheat bread recipes so as for now this is my keeper.
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
Recipe Category: Bread | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Whole wheat flour – 2 and 1/2 cups
Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Instant yeast – 1 and 1/4 tsp
(or) Active dry yeast – 3/4 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
- In a bowl add sugar then add 1/2 cup warm water, mix well until sugar completely dissolves.
- Then add yeast set aside undisturbed for 10mins, when its frothy(this ensures yeast is active and ready to go), add oil and mix it up.
- Mix well and set aside.In a mixing bowl add wheat flour then add required salt.
- Whisk it well, then add yeast solution then add 1/2 cup water.
- Gather and knead it to a dough.Brush with oil and let it rise for atleast 45mins or an hour until is doubles in size.
- Punch down and knead it until it forms a soft dough.You can bake a full big loaf too but I baked in 2 mini loaf pans so divided the dough into 2.
- Now shape into a log.You can even roll it like how I’ve shown here.Brush the bread tins with oil,carefully transfer the logs into the bread tin.
- Keep it covered with a cloth and let it rise for 30mins or till the bread reaches slightly above the rim of the tin.
- Brush the top with milk, this is for even browning.
- I placed the pan in lower rack.Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 30-35 mins or until the top turns golden.Mine got done in 30mins.Once baked remove the pan and let it cool for 15mins then carefully invert and let it to cool down completely atleast for 1hr.If you don’t want the crust on top, use a wet cloth to cover and keep aside for few mins.
- You can even bake in big bread loaf tin to get 1 big loaf.
Use serrated knife to slice.Slice and serve.Serve as bread toast / plain bread.
- Slice only after cooling down completely.
- Adjust water quantity according to the dough consistency.For me it takes little extra may be 1 0r 2 tbsp extra water to bring it to a dough consistency.
- Do not knead it too tight then your bread will become hard.
- I have used instant yeast, for dry yeast check the ingredients list for measures.
- The rising time depends totally on the yeast and your area climatic conditions.Keep it in a warm place to rise.I usually keep near the stove.
- Do not invert when the pan is still hot, let it to cool for atleast 15mins before you invert.
- Always use serrated knife to get neat slices.
- The orginal recipe called for 4 tbsp oil but I have tried reducing it to 2 tbsp and it worked fine, so have updated the recipe.Even sugar the orginal recipe calls for 3 tbsp, but these days I add only 2 tbsp so have updated that also.