Last Updated on September 5, 2021
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes | Vinayaka Chaturthi Recipes
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes collection featured in this edition of Ganesh Chaturthi special. Step by step photos along with videos posted here for easy & cool preparation of your menu on this day.Modak is Lord Ganesha’s favorite sweet and is one of the popular Ganesh Chaturthi Recipe that everyone tries especially in Indian homes.
About Ganesh Chaturthi
Ganesh Chaturthi also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi marks the arrival of Lord Ganesh to earth from Kailash! We celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi by doing special pooja for Lord Ganesha, offering him his favourite food and visiting Ganesha temples & pandals. Ganesh Chaturthi is the next big festival after Diwali which is almost celebrated with equal fervour and devotion across all the states of India!
- Ganesha’s Favorites : Modak / Kozhukattai (in Tamil), Sundal are his favorites. At home we make wide varieties of Modak – sweet modak, savour modak, spicy modak, plain modak, fried modak, gravyish modak on his day. In this Ganesh Chaturthi edition, we are going to see the collection of the modak / kozhukattai recipes and other recipes which can be prepared that day for you to choose & plan your celebration.
- Ganesh Idol : Installation of huge crafted and beautifully decorated statutes of Ganesha in pandals/ podiums marks the beginning of celebration Visiting the various public displays / pandals is a popular activity during the festival. At homes, we buy new Ganesh idols, perform abishekam of the idol and do pooja on the day. Modaks, fruits, sundal, coconut and jaggery, are offered to the God and then shared with friends & relatives as well.
- Ganesh Visarjan : It is a belief that Lord Ganesh gets back to Kailash after 10 day visit to earth on Visarjan day! It signifies the cycle of birth, life and death. Visarjan means immersion – On Anant Chaturdashi (the last day), the statues are paraded through the streets, accompanied by much singing and dancing and immersed in sea, river or a water body! It is also believed that Lord Ganesh gives a new beginning by taking away our obstacles by getting it immersed in water!
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes
- Modak is a sweet dumpling offered for Lord Ganesh on Ganesh Chaturthi festival as it is considered to be his favourite. Step by step cooking pictures of Modak and video are posted in this recipe for your easy understanding and reference.
- Kozhukattai recipe with step by step pictures and video. It is the favourite sweet dish of Pillayar hence commonly made and offered for Pillayar on Pillayar Chaturthi. Step by step cooking pictures of Kozhukattai and video are posted in this recip.
- Ammini kozhukattai recipe a quick tasty steamed rice flour dumplings with a simple tadka made for Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Chana sundal is a simple South Indian stir fry made with chickpeas.It is a savoury snack traditionally made for Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Ellu Kozhukattai is a sweet dumpling with sesame jaggery filling. Sesame seeds modak with easy to understand ste by step pictures.
- Coconut rose modak recipe a great combination of rose with coconut in the shape of modak.
- Kesari modak recipe a unique delicious modak using kesari as filling. Kesari modak tastes so good and will be liked by everyone.Do try this and enjoy.
- Chocolate modak made using khoya,coco powder and sugar. It is one of the easiest modak recipes that kids will enjoy for sure. So do try this for Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Mawa modak recipe with step by step pictures for easy understanding and reference. Khoya modak or mawa modak is a traditional modak made with khoya or mawa and sugar as main ingredients.
- Dry fruits modak recipe a rich and delicious modak which is quick and easy to make for ganesh chaturthi.
Modak is made using rice flour for outer covering shell and for the inner filling traditionally freshly grated coconut and jaggery are used. But now there are many variations and alternates to the traditional modak recipe and here are some. I have given modak recipes with mould and without the mold.
The South Indian version of modak is called Kozhukattai or Modakam which is very popular in Southern States especially in Tamil Nadu.
My fond memories of this day
We started our life at our new home 10 years back on this day.All the firsts are always special so does this home to us. As this is the first house we bought from our hard earned money.So to whichever house we move in future either big or small this house is always special to us. Cherished moments which I will carry for a life time!
Tried this ganesh chaturthi recipes? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes | Vinayaka Chaturthi Recipes
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes:
1. How do we celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi at home?
a. Get an Ganesh Idol from shop.
b. Decide the menu for the day, shop accordingly and plan the timing for pooja.
c. Cook modak and the menu you have in mind.
d. Gather the family members, offer the menu to Lord Ganesh and do pooja & pray.
e. Relish the dishes and also share it friends & relatives.
f. Visit Ganesha temples & pandals.
2. What are the 3 important and easy recipes for Ganesh Chaturthi / Vinayaka Chaturthi?
Sweet Modak, Spicy Modak and Sundal (a snack) are easy, common and important dishes for Ganesh / Vinayak Chaturthi
3. I did not buy an idol? What to do?
2 ways to manage if you did not get a new idol. One – A Ganesh Photo / picture would do! Two – Mix a palmful of turmeric powder with little water and make it as a paste. Now grip the paste in your hand, remove it and smoothen the surface – Ganesh is ready! This is how all Poojaris / priest make Lord Ganesh for Ganesh Pooja & then start any function / pooja.
4. How do you do Pooja for Lord Ganesh?
a. Place the idol / photo / turmeric mold
b. Clean and decorate all the idol & all God Photos / Idols
c. Offer the menu prepared in a banana leaf before the idol as neivedhyam
d. Also add fruits in the banana leaf if you have,
e. Light a diva or villaku, put dhoop / sambrani and break coconut if you have
f. Chant “Ganpati Bappa Morya” or ask children to sing any Ganesh song (Mundhi Mundhi Vinayagane in tamil)
g. Light the camphor and circle around the idol / photo while you continue chanting
5. When is Ganesh Chaturthi celebrated this year?
In 2021, it is celebrated on 10th September (Friday) and the Visarjan / Anant Chaturdashi on 19th September (Monday)