Kozhukattai dough recipe, Kozhukattai maavu recipe – using store bought idiyappam flour. Kozhukattai dough is used to make kozhukattai, modak, ammini kozhukattai and many more such recipes. Learn how to make soft kozhukattai dough using the tips and tricks given here.
rice flour but sometimes I use store bought rice flour(idiyappam flour) too and it has never let me down mostly while making idiyappam and kozhukattai.Kozhukattai dough recipe with step by step pictures and video.We used to make homemade rice flour and then use it for making kozhukattai / idiyappam.But now we get readymade flours available that you get it easily everywhere.I usually make homemade
Soft Kozhukattai Dough Recipe
There are 2 methods in making soft kozhukattai dough: Either ways you can make perfect kozhukattai’s.
Method 1 :
In this method we add rice flour along with ghee, salt mix this well first. Add hot boiling water to it little by little mix well to gather to form a nonsticky dough.The water measure cannot be given accurately in this method you need to pour little by little and keep mixing to form the dough.
Method 2 :
In this method first mix rice flour with salt, oil and water.Whisk well to avoid lumps.Now keep on stove, switch on then cook by stirring continuously until you form a dough. This method the water measure is accurately esitimated and given.
- Rice flour or Idiyappam flour
- Hot water
- Ghee or Oil
- Salt to taste
Tried this kozhukattai dough recipe? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Kozhukattai Dough | Kozhukattai Maavu
- 1 cup homemade rice flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
FOR METHOD 2 :
- 1 cup homemade rice flour
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
METHOD 1 :
- To a mixing bowl add rice flour.
- Add salt and ghee to it.
- Mix this well first.
- Boil water.
- Add water little by little.
- Keep mixing using a spatula.
- Keep adding and mixing.
- Keep stirring adding water little by little.
- Gather to form a mass.
- Once it gathers to form a dough close and keep aside for 5 mins.
- Once it is warm enough to handle with hand, open give a quick mix.
- Mix well with fingers to form a soft dough.
- Keep covered until use to avoid drying up.Kozhukattai dough ready.
- This is off the stove : To a pan add flour,ghee or oil and required salt to it.
- Add water to it.
- Whisk well without lumps.
- Now keep in stove and switch on.Keep whisking to avoid lumps, it will start to thicken in few mins.
- Keep whisking and cooking in low flame.
- Starts to thicken.
- Keep cooking until it forms a mass and will not stick much.
- Once it gathers to a dough consistency, switch off.
- Switch off, remove from stove.Close and set aside for few mins until it is wamr enough handle with fingers.
- Grease your hand with oil.Now open, mix well knead using your finger tips.Do not knead rigourously.
- Mix well until its feels non sticky.
- It will not stick while touching and also it will be soft.
- Kozhukattai dough is ready.
- If you are buying store bought rice flour make sure to buy idiyappam flour.I use nirapara brand.
- Do not make a stiff dough it will break while shaping.At the same time the dough should not be too loose too.It should be soft and slightly sticky thats the perfect consistency.
- If you have added little more water by mistake roast some flour and sprinkle and knead it.
How to make kozhukattai dough
METHOD 1 :
1.To a mixing bowl add rice flour.
2.Add salt and ghee to it.
3.Mix this well first.
5.Add water little by little.
6.Keep mixing using a spatula.
7.Keep adding and mixing.
8.Keep stirring adding water little by little.
9.Gather to form a mass.
10.Once it gathers to form a dough close and keep aside for 5 mins.
11.Once it is warm enough to handle with hand, open give a quick mix.
12.Mix well with fingers to form a soft dough.
13.Keep covered until use to avoid drying up.Kozhukattai dough ready.
1.This is done off the stove : To a pan add flour,ghee or oil and required salt to it.
2.Add water to it.
3.Whisk well without lumps.
4.Now keep in stove and switch on.Keep whisking to avoid lumps, it will start to thicken in few mins.
5.Keep whisking and cooking in low flame.
6.Starts to thicken.
7.Keep cooking until it forms a mass and will not stick much.
8.Once it gathers to a dough consistency, switch off.
9.Switch off, remove from stove.Close and set aside for few mins until it is wamr enough handle with fingers.
10.Grease your hand with oil.Now open, mix well knead using your finger tips.Do not knead rigourously.
11.Mix well until its feels non sticky.
12.It will not stick while touching and also it will be soft.
13.Kozhukattai dough is ready.
- Make sure to add water little by little in the first method. If water is more the dough will become very loose.
- Always keep covered with a cloth to avoid it from drying until use.
- If while shaping kozhukattais and if the dough breaks then it means the dough is dry. So sprinkle little water mix well to rectify and start using it.
1.What is kozhukattai dough made of?
Kozhukattai is made using rice flour, ghee / oil, salt and water.
2.What rice flour to use?
Storebought idiyappam flour can be used. You can make your own batch of homemade rice flour from raw rice or maavupacharisi.
3.What do you call kozhukattai in english?
Kozhukattai is called steamed dumplings.
4.How do I know my kozhukattai dough is perfect?
The dough should not stick while touching,also while shaping kozhukattais it should not break and form shape easily. If it breaks it means the dough is dry, so sprinkle little water mix well and use it.
5.How to get soft kozhukattai dough?
The key to get soft kozhukattai dough is get it 3/4 th cooked while mixing with hot water itself. This will yield soft and crack free kozhukattai too.