Trust me, this is very easy to make without any fuss..You can even make this as a snack for kids.If you have homemade processed rice flour then thats good else try out with readymade idiyappam flour and it works good too.
Sweet Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 and 1/4 cup
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
Oil – just to grease
- Soak jaggery in 1 and 1/4 cup water, crush it well. Strain to remove impurities and take the syrup in a heavy bottomed pan or preferably nonstick pan and heat up the syrup.Add cardamom powder.
- Simmer the flame and add rice flour and mix well.It will all come together so soon so act quickly.Keep mixing continuously to avoid lumps.It will be all done in few mins so keep stirring.Once you mix, it will start coming together and form a mass.At this stage add coconut and stir well.You can see the dough change its texture, it will look more like a clay in texture that is the right stage.Switch off and let it cool down.Keep covered.
- When its still warm, make kozhukattai shapes.Grease your hands with oil then take a small portion and make cylindrical shapes and press it with your fingers to get the impression…repeat the same for the entire mixture.You can even make small balls .Then arrange it in a steamer plate and steam it for 10mins.
Serve hot / warm!
- I used readymade idiyappam flour, Nirapara brand. You can even use homemade rice flour.
- The water quantity depends on the rice flour quality so adjust accordingly.
- Grease your hands to avoid sticking of dough.
- Dont let the jaggery to form any syrup it should be watery only then rice flour will get cooked.
- After water boils, make sure you keep in sim then add rice flour in a sprinkle manner and on one side keep mixing.If you leave it even for a second then lumps will form easily so be fast and stir continuously.
- Make sure the rice is almost cooked before steaming this ensure soft kozhukattais.
- Dont let the rice flour mixture dry, keep covered and shape the kozhukattais.I just made 1/2 cup so the shaping was done in few minutes but while doing in bulk make sure you keep it covered with a slightly wet cloth.