Sweet pidi kozhukattai is one of my favs both the traditional way or this easy rice flour method, I love both.As vinayagar chaturthi is fast approaching I am here to post this easy rice flour sweet kozhukattai.I usually prefer the sweet kozhukattai than the savory version.Trust me, this is very easy to make without any fuss.
You can even make this as a snack for kids.If you have homemade processed rice flour then that’s good else try out with readymade idiyappam flour and it works good too.
Sweet pidi kozhukattai video
Sweet Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/3 cup
Water – 1 and 1/4 cups
Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Oil – just to grease
- Add jaggery and water, just heat it up until jaggery completely dissolves.
- Strain this to a pan.Let it boil, add cardamom powder and coconut.
- Simmer the flame,add rice flour and keep mixing.It will all come together so soon so act quickly.Keep mixing it will look like lumps do not panic just keep mixing and mash it well.In few seconds it will start coming together and form a mass.Switch off and let it cool down.
- When its still warm, add a tsp of ghee knead well .Grease your hand with oil / ghee then pinch a ball and shape kozhukattais and press with fingers to form impression as shown.Repeat to finish.
- Then arrange it in a steamer plate and steam it for 10-12 mins.Do not over crowd steam in batches if there are more kozhukattais.The kozhukattais will turn shiny then its perfect to switch off.
Serve hot / warm!
- I used readymade idiyappam flour, Nirapara brand. You can even use homemade rice flour.
- You can add a tiny pinch of salt while adding coconut.Adding salt enhances sweetness.
- The water quantity depends on the rice flour quality so adjust accordingly.
- Grease your hands with ghee or oil to avoid sticking of dough.Grease the steamer plate with ghee to avoid sticking.
- Don’t let the jaggery to form any syrup it should be watery only then rice flour will get cooked.
- After water boils, make sure you keep in sim then add rice flour in a sprinkle manner and on one side keep mixing.Stir continuosly. It will looks like lumps forming but do not panic keep mixing.Once warm knead well and the dough will be perfect.
- Don’t let the rice flour mixture dry, keep covered and shape the kozhukattais.I just made 1/2 cup so the shaping was done in few minutes but while doing in bulk make sure you keep it covered with a slightly wet cloth.