I always use homemade paneer, its so soft and fresh. If I want paneer the next day morning I make paneer the previous night itself and refrigerate it for next day use.Only when I am expecting guests and am pressed for time I use store bought paneer.
I love the semi dry version more than the gravy kind even manchurians I like the semi dry version more.
Chilli Paneer Gravy – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Paneer – 3/4 cup cubed
Capsicum – 1/2 cup cubed (I used color capsicum)
Big Onions – 1 chopped roughly
Garlic – 5 cloves minced finely
Ginger – 1/2 tsp finely chopped
Soya sauce – 1/2 tsp
Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Spring Onions(white part) – 1/2 tbsp chopped finely
Spring Onions(green part) – 1/2 tbsp chopped finely
Water – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
For the marinade:
Maida – 1 tbsp
Corn flour – 1/2 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as required
Water – as required to form a paste
- Make a thick batter of the ingredients under ‘for the marinade’ and add paneer to it and coat it well.
- Heat oil in a pan and toast the paneer till slightly golden(You can deep fry them too).Drain it in a tissue and set aside. Heat oil in a pan, add spring onion white part,ginger and garlic,fry till slightly browned. Then add onion and capsicum saute in high flame for a minute.
- Thenn add soya sauce, tomato sauce , chilli sauce, pepper powder and required salt.Mix well until the veggies are coated evenly.Add 1 cup water and let it boil.
- Then add remaining cornflour maida paste and let it boil.Once it starts to thicken add paneer and give a quick stir.Finally add spring onions green part and switch off.
Serve as a accompaniment with fried rice or just as a starter and am sure you will make this often.
- You may not end up using the entire maida cornflour paste so use the remaining for making the gravy.
- I used colored capsicum just for adding color to my chilli paneer.You can even add just green capsicum.
- I toasted the paneer in my dosa tawa, you can deep fry in oil too.
- You can even add finely chopped green chillies while adding chopped ginger and garlic.
- The gravy tends to thicken if resting time is given, so switch off accordingly.If it becomes too thick then add little water to thin it.
- You can even use vegetable stock repalcing water.Adjust water level according to the consistency.
- Using freshly ground pepper adds a great flavour to the dish.