Rolls or Wraps or Frankies I like them very much. They are perfect for on the go snacks/breakfast for kids.I had this feeling in mind that making kathi roll was time consuming until I saw the recipe in a TV show. It was well explained and sounded simple to me.So here goes the recipe with minor modifications from the orginal.And now u know how I finished the paneer bhurji :)
To make ginger green chilli paste:
Take a small piece of ginger and 1 green chilli, grind it to a smooth paste with little salt and your ginger green chilli paste is ready :)
To prepare the parathas:
- Mix salt, wheat flour and maida. Add milk slowly to form a soft dough.
- Keep covered and let it rest till the stuffing is done
To prepare the stuffing
- Heat oil, add onions and saute until golden brown.Add ginger chilli paste and saute for a min then add all the veggies, saute for 3mins or until cooked till the veggies are crunchy.
- Add turmeric, garam masala powder and lemon juice mix well. Cook keeping lid closed for 2more minutes and switch off.
To make it as a wrap:
- Pinch a lemon sized ball from the dough and flatten it like we do for chapathis. Dust flour if needed.
- Then heat a dosa pan,once it is hot place the prepared parathas and cook on both sides.Likewise prepare all the parathas and keep aside.
- At the time of serving, add little oil and toast the prepared parathas . Then spread 1/2 tbsp of green chutney, add a heaped tbsp of stuffing(either paneer bhurji/veg stuffing).
- Then gently seal it from the bottom then close it tightly from the both the sides(left & right) to form a roll as shown in the pic(Rolling this way avoids stuffing from dropping out)
- Then wrap the lower part of the parathas with butter paper/silver foil and enjoy ur kati rolls.
I love paneer bhurji in wraps and rolls. So reserved little for this sake itself and made these rolls. You can keep the stuffing in middle and close from oth the sides and prick a tooth pick in the middle and serve but wrapping in the above said method avoids filling from coming out and its easy to hold too :)
The recipe is the same for paneer bhurji too just filling differs and you can find paneer bhurji recipehere.
When I googled to find the orgin of Kathi rolls, found that it orginated from Kolkata where kathi roll is a famous street food.
My Notes :
- The stuffing idea is endless, you can even make chicken vegetable stuffing. You can also makepaneer tikka kathi roll.
- You can make the stuffing and parathas ready the previous night and just assemble the wrap, there you go with your yummy, filling on the go wraps for breakfast. It is a perfect evening snack for kids.
- Serve with tomato sauce or can be had as such itself also. The thickness of each parathas can be slightly thicker also.
And I am sending this to Fast Food NOT Fat food event