Modakam recipe –Modak recipe – Thengai poorna kozhukattai recipe with step by step photos.This modakam with coconut stuffing is one my favs and I grew up eating this often for teatime snack. Yes I remember having this kozhukattai hot hot when I returned back from school.Now lets get on to learn how to make easy modakam kozhukattai.
Now coming to Vinayagar Chathurthi which falls on 11th Sept this year…since all things are almost packed even my props……I somehow managed to do a quick post for this festival so here is mine in advance 🙂
Guess you can understand the work & tight schedule for the next few weeks in arranging up things at our new home. Am not sure when I will be accessing net after this. It all depends on the time delay for the net connection to be given….hopefully sooner. Till then dont forget my litte space, Keep visiting 🙂 I’ll be back soon! Check out my mothagam with chana dal filling post. I have used mould there but you can shape them with your hands too.
I remember my MIL and SIL both are great devotess of Lord Ganesh. And my SIL is so so attached to him that we used to call and wish her “Happy Bday” on that day 🙂
Modakam recipe full video
Modak Recipe Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Mothagam Recipe: Inner Stuffing Ingredients:
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder – a pinch
Ghee – 1 tsp
Mothagam Recipe: Outer Dough Ingredients:
Rice flour / Idiyappam flour – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Water – as required to form a dough
Oil – to grease hands
- Add jaggery and water.Hdeat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked) .Set aside.
- Dry roast coconut in a tawa till its dry, don’t change its color.Strain jaggery syrup and add .Mix well.
- Cook until the mixture becomes sticky and thick.Add cardamom powder mix well and switch off.Let it become warm then make small balls and keep aside.
- Let’s lets prepare the outer dough.Measure and take rice flour in a mixing bowl,add salt.
- Mix it once.Boil water until it bubbles up,switch off then add it to rice flour.Add little by little, do not add it fully at a stretch.
- Mix with a laddle,it will start to come together.Once it is warm enough to handle with hand bring everything together to form a smooth dough without any cracks.Keep covered with a wet cloth until use.Grease your hands with oil then handle the dough for making kozhukattai.
- Stuffing is ready.Now start making the cups.Grease ur hands with oil.Make lemon sized small balls with the prepared dough and flatten them as thin as possible like a small cup.
- Keep the stuffing inside.Pull around the edges and bring it to center over the top of the filling. Bring it together to form the modak shape.Repeat to finish the dough.Grease the steamer plate with oil.
- Arrange the modaks in a steaming plate and steam it for 10mins.After 10-12 mins check if the kozhukottais are done, the outer layer will be a bit shiny.Do not crowd while steaming, steam cook in bacthes.Now carefully transfer them in a bowl and ur kozhukattais are ready!
Serve it hot / warm!
The pooranam should be juicy not too dry switch off accordingly.
- Make thin outer layers so that the mothagams are soft and gets cooked easily.
- If you add more water to jaggery syrup then while making stuffing it will be watery and will take time to get thick,
- The coconut pooranam should be thick in consistency else you will have a tough time wrapping them into kozhukattais.