Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Idli Manchurian Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish / Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indo Chinese
For the batter :
Idli – 5 cut into sqaures
Cornflour – 2 tbsp
Maida – 2 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Oil – to toast
For the manchurian:
Oil – 1 tbsp
Capsicum – 1/2 cut into squares
Garlic – 1 tsp chopped finely
Ginger – 1 tsp chopped finely
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Soya sauce – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp
Cornflour – 1/2 tsp mixed with 2 tbsp water
Salt – to taste
Spring onions(white part)- 1/2 tbsp white part
Spring onions(green part)- 2 tbsp green part
- If you are making your batch of idlis fresh then refrigerate it atleast for 30mins.Then cut the idlis into small cubes.In a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients under ‘for the batter(except oil and idlis)’ add little water to form a thick paste.
- Dip the idlis cubes into the batter and tawa toast it(or deep fry) . I used my trusted Nirlep tawa, added less oil and toasted till golden brown.Drain in tissue paper.
- Get all the ingredients ready for the manchurian.Heat oil in a pan and add garlic,ginger and spring onions white part saute for a minute.Add onion saute until slightly browned.
- Then add capsicum, saute for 2mins. Let the onions and capsicum retain its crispiness and do not let them turn brown.Then add soya sauce and mix well in high flame.Now reduce the flame and add tomato sauce and required salt.Add cornflour mixture and little water to make it saucy.
- Bring the sauce to a quick boil. Add fried idlis, pepper powder and give a toss for the sauce to coat well. Garnish with spring onions green part, give a quick mix and serve hot.
Serve hot with any fried rice of your choice or just as a starter.Serve immediately before it becomes soggy.
- Dont skip spring onions as it gives a nice flavour.
- Refrigerating idlis helps in giving firm idli cubes with no crumbles.
- Soya sauce forms the base for any manchurian.You can even use green chilli sauce / red chilli sauce
- The consistency is purely your choice, you can make it saucy like how I have did or make it dry too.
- Always serve hot as it may turn soggy when rested for a while.
- Adding cornflour water mixture is purely optional – this is just to make the sauce thick.
- Dont add more soya sauce than the mentioned amount else it will change the taste and make the manchurian more darker in color.
- After the fried idlis are added just toss it, thats enough.