Check out more manchurian recipes already posted :
Soya Chunks Manchurian Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish / Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indo Chinese
For the batter :
Soya Chunks – 1 cup chopped
Cornflour – 3 tbsp
Maida – 2 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to toast
For the manchurian:
Oil – 1 tbsp
Capsicum – 1/2 cup cubed
Garlic – 1 tbsp chopped finely
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Soya sauce – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Sauce – 1/2 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 1 tbsp
Schezwan Sauce – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp mixed with a tsp of water
Cornflour – 1/2 tsp mixed with 2 tbsp water
Salt – to taste
Spring onions(white part)- 1 tbsp white part
Spring onions(green part) – 2 tbsp green part
- Boil water, switch off and add soya chunks to it and keep aside for 10mins till it grows in size.Then rinse it well in cold water atleast 2-3 times.
- Squeeze out excess water and chop each chunk to 2 pieces and Set aside.In a mixing bowl take cornflour,maida,red chilli powder,pepper powder and salt.Add little water to make a smooth paste.
- Dip each soya chunk into it and fry it in a pan with little oil.You can deep fry it too.Drain it in tissue paper and set aside.
- Get ready with the ingredients.I mixed the sauces and kept it ready.First heat a pan with oil add garlic and spring onion white part, saute for few mins.
- Then add onion, saute for a while till its transparent then add capsicum and saute for 2mins.Then add the sauces along with cornflour water mixture.Add required salt.
- Bring the sauce to a quick boil. Add fried soya chunks, pepper powder and give a toss for the sauce to coat well. Garnish with remaining spring onions green part, give a quick mix and serve hot.
Serve hot with any fried rice of your choice or just as a starter.Serve immediately before it becomes soggy.
- Don’t skip spring onions as it gives a nice flavour.
- Adding onions is purely optional, you can skip that too.
- Chilli sauce and soy sauce forms the base for any manchurian. I used schezwan sauce as I had homemade sauce ready but its optional.
- The consistency is purely your choice, you can make it saucy like how I have did or make it dry too.
- Always serve hot as it may turn soggy when resting time is given.
- Adding cornflour water mixture is purely optional – this is just to make the sauce thick.
- Make sure not to saute the veggies for a long time in the sauce as the veggies need to be crunchy.
- Dont add more soya sauce than the mentioned amount else it will change the taste and make the manchurian more darker in color.
- I used big soya nuggets , you can use the smaller ones too.