Last Updated on October 19, 2021
You can make manchurian either gravy / semi dry(saucy) or dry version, I have made it saucy great to go with fried rice.I love manchurian as a side dish for fried rice but not as a starter as I dont have the habit of having starters / soups just dive straight into the main dishes 🙂
I have a love-hate relationship with mushrooms in the recent days…..But still whenever I see white clean fresh mushrooms in pazhamudhir I cannot resist, I end up buying a pack as its rich in nutrients and a good source of vitamins too and helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels….So try to include mushrooms as a part of your weekly meal at least.
Mushroom Manchurian Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish / Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indo Chinese
For the batter :
Mushroom(Cleaned) – 1 cup chopped
Cornflour – 3.5 tbsp
Maida – 2 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to toast
For the manchurian:
Oil – 1 tbsp
Capsicum – 1/2 cut into squares
Garlic – 1 tbsp chopped finely
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Soya sauce – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli sauce – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp mixed with a tsp of water
Cornflour – 1/2 tsp mixed with 2 tbsp water
Salt – to taste
Spring onions(white part)- 1 tbsp white part
Spring onions(green part) – 2 tbsp green part
- Rince mushrooms, wipe it off with a tissue to remove the moisture then slice them thin.In a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients under ‘for the batter’ add little water to form a thick paste.
- Marinate mushroom in it for 15mins.Deep fry them until crispy and golden brown.Drain them in a tissue.
- Get all the ingredients ready for the manchurian.Heat oil in a pan and add garlic and spring onions white part saute for a minute.Add onion saute until slightly browned,
- Then add capsicum, half of spring onions and saute for 2mins. Let the onions and capsicum retain its crispiness and do not let them turn brown.Then add soya sauce and mix well in high flame.Now reduce the flame and add green chilli sauce,tomato sauce and required salt.
- Add cornflour mixture and bring the sauce to a quick boil. Add fried mushrooms, pepper powder and give a toss for the sauce to coat well. Garnish with remaining spring onions green part, give a quick mix and serve hot.
Serve hot with any fried rice of your choice or just as a starter.Serve immediately before it becomes soggy.
- Dont skip spring onions as it gives a nice flavour.
- Adding onions is purely optional, you can skip that too.
- Marinating mushroom in the batter gives a nice firm outer layer.
- Chilli sauce and soy sauce forms the base for any manchurian. I used green chilli sauce as I had only that, you can add the red chilli sauce too.
- The consistency is purely your choice, you can make it saucy like how I have did or make it dry too.
- Always serve hot as it may turn soggy when resting time is given.
- dding cornflour water mixture is purely optional – this is just to make the sauce thick.
- Make sure not to saute the veggies for a long time in the sauce as the veggies need to be crisp.
- Dont add more soya sauce than the mentioned amount else it will change the taste and make the manchurian more darker in color.
- I have used button mushroom you can use any type of mushroom.