Egg Masala Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Reference: Ramya Cooks
Eggs – 3
Onion – 1 medium sized
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinchl
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
To roast and grind:
Oil – 1 tsp
Tomato – 1 big
Dry Red Chillies – 2 to 3
Small Onion – 10
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cinammon – 1/4 inch piece
Green cardamom – 1/2
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tspp
Poppy seeds – 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Boil eggs for few mins. Break open and remove the shell carefully. Slit the eggs with a knife on all sides, dont slit it deep inside.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan – add the ingredients under ‘to roast & grind’ saute till onions turn golden brown and tomatoes turn mushy and raw smell leaves.
- Cool down and grind to a semi fine paste.set aside. Heat oil in pan – add mustard seeds and curry leaves let the mustard seeds crackle.Add ginger garlic paste , onion fry till golden brown.
- Then add the masala paste and fry for 2 mins.Then sprinkle little water, add required salt and allow it to boil until it forms a gravy. Meanwhile take the eggs add it to a seperate pan along with red chilli, garam masala and turmeric powder.
- Fry the eggs till the masala is coated well on all sides, dont fry for long.Add the fried egg to the masala and simmer to for 2mins for the masala to blend well. Then add coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve it with hot steamed rice and sambar.
- I wanted more gravy so added tomatoes while grinding.
- It serves as a best accompaniment for rasam / sambar too. Or you can have the gravy with rice too.
- This is little on the spicy side so adjust red chillies according to your spice level.
- Dont fry the eggs for long else it will turn rubbery and thats y I roasted it during the last stage.