Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Carrot rice recipe one of the best lunchbox for kids and elders as well.Carrot rice recipe with step by step pictures.
I remember eating carrot rice as a school going kid…..It was one of the regular variety rice amma packs for lunchbox….And I would happily exchange my lunch box with my best friend(as she loves variety rice) this happens whenever there was any variety rice in my lunchbox but now the situation is totally reverse I can have variety rice even daily, it is sure better than the usual meal combo with sambar and rasam.Carrot Rice is best for kids lunch box so do try this healthy colorful rice for your kids.One of the best things I love about carrot rice is the crunch of the carrots and nuts.Amma adds cashews but I wanted to try a variation so added peanuts.One of the herculean task is packing lunch box for kids,am sure all mothers would agree to it….Though I haven’t faced it till now am sure I would have to scratch my head next year to pack for my picky eater 🙂
Carrot rice recipe video
Carrot Rice Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine:South Indian
Cooked Rice – 1 cup
Carrot – 3/4 cup finely grated
Onion -1 finely chopped
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Peanuts – 1 tbsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2.5 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 1
Curry leaves – a sprig
- Cook rice and spread it on a plate to make it grains seperated….alternatively you can use leftover rice too.Heat oil in a pan – add peanuts and fry till nicely browned,set aside.In the same pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it crackle then onion with ginger garlic paste, saute till it turns slightly browned.
- Then add freshly grated carrot saute for a while till it shrinks and raw smell leaves.Then add required salt along with red chilli amd garam maslaa powders.
- Saute till the masalas nicely blends with the veggie.Then add peanuts, rice and mix well.Cook on low flame for 3mins, sprinkle coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve it warm with papad / chips.
- You can use ghee if you are making this for kids.
- You can skip whole spices and just temper jeera. And replace garam masala powder with sambar powder.
- Instead of peanuts, you can even add ghee fried cashews.
- You can even use leftover rice for this recipe.