Turmeric milk is a healthy drink made with milk and turmeric powder. Turmeric milk is a an traditional home remedy for cold and cough and also acts as a great immunity booster. Lets get on to learn turmeric milk recipe with step by step pictures and video.
Turmeric milk is a healthy drink made with basic 2 main ingredients turmeric powder and milk. Turmeric milk is believed to cure cold and cough, also improves immunity when it is consumed often.
About Turmeric milk
Turmeric milk is also called as haldi doodh in hindi and manjal paal in tamil. Turmeric milk is an ange old traditional drink which our ancestors used as a home remedy for treating cold and cough.
Turmeric is said to have a lot of health benefits, it is not only a spice but also a medicinal herb. We often add turmeric powder in many dishes like curries, chutneys, sambar etc.
Actually amma made homemade turmeric powder using the raw turmeric that we get during pongal festival so wanted to use it for this recipe, look at the beautiful natural colour and the flavour was awesome.
Having turmeric milk before going to bed helps in getting good sleep and cures cold,cough and congestion.
What is turmeric milk?
Turmeric milk is one of the traditional indian beverage consumed in India especially during winters. It is considered to be one of the best home remedies to prevent from cold and cough. It not only helps in clearing up the congestion in lungs but gives a good sleep when had at night.
Turmeric with milk helps in flushing out toxins from the body. Turmeric is a natural blood purifier and also a great antioxidant which helps in brightning skin.
Check out turmeric milk latte version
Turmeric milk benefits
- Improves sleep when had at night before going to bed.
- Natural immune booster.
- Helps in digestion
- Best home remedy for cold and cough.
- Possibly reducing the risk of diseases.
- Helps in brightening skin.
Turmeric milk for cold
Turmeric powder vs Fresh turmeric
- You can use turmeric powder readily available but use organic turmeric powder. I use homemade turmeric powder free from chemicals and preservatives.
- You can also use fresh turmeric if you get it as it is more effective then turmeric powder. But rinse it thoroughly before using it. First rub it against a hard stone(used for rubbing turmeric, sandalwood is available in stores) then add it to hot milk. Alternatively you can also grate fresh turmeric and add it.
- Turmeric powder has a good shelf life but fresh turmeric has very less shelf life as it tends to get spoiled very soon. If you can source turmeric you can freeze it to extend shelf life.
Tried this turmeric milk ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Turmeric milk | Haldi doodh
- Take milk in a sauce pan, boil for 3-5 mins.
- Now simmer and add turmeric powder.
- Simmer the milk for 2 mins.Then strain.You need not strain it if you are using fine turmeric powder which is store bought. As I had used homemade turmeric powder it was coarse so I strained.
- Add honey to strained milk,mix well.Pour into serving glasses and serve.Serve hot / warm.
- Traditionally turmeric milk is consumed without any sweetner, it just plain boiled milk with turmeric powder.I usually add little honey.Its your wish, you can add or skip it the sweetner.
- After boiling milk with turmeric powder you can just transfer to serving cup and serve, no need to strain if you are using fine store bought turmeric powder.I used homemade turmeric powder which was a bit coarse so strained it.
How to make turmeric milk
1.Add 1 cup milk to a sauce pan.
2.Let it come to a rolling boil.
3.Give a quick stir.
4.Now add turmeric powder.
5.Add crushed pepper, I used my pepper mill to add freshly crushed pepper.
6.Give a quick stir.
7.Simmer for few seconds.
8.Strain. This step is optional but if you want to avoid malai and pepper corns coming in mouth while drinking then ytou can strain it.Add sweetner of your choice if you prefer. You can add regular white sugar or cane sugar or palm candy sugar too. IF adding honey let the milk become warm then add and mix well.
Serve hot / warm.
Enjoy turmeric milk hot or warm. I have given 2 versions : the above one without sweetner and the below recipe with sweetner.
Turmeric milk is a simple basic beverage to get rid of cold, sorethroat or even throat infection. Pepper and Turmeric are 2 Indian spices which has good medicinal benefits.
I usually make this turmeric milk with pepper when I have cold or when the weather is chill. Now that the climate is changing thought to share this recipe as it will be beneficial. Nothing like this turmeric milk which soothes your throat, it is also said to control dry cough.
- Grind pepper corns, I used my hand mortar and pestle – You may not need fully, Set aside. Boil milk till frothy.
- Add 2 tsp palm sugar candy, then 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Let it boil for a minute.
- Then add crushed pepper powder(add it as per taste) and boil for a good 5mins. Transfer to serving tumbler. You can strain it if you want.
- After turmeric powder is added let it boil for few mins atleast to get rid of the raw smell.
- You can replace palm sugar candy with sugar too.
- Freshly ground pepper powder gives nice flavour and is very effective too.
- There are a lot of variations to this basic drink:
- Traditionally no sweetner is added to make sure to enjoy the full health benefits.
- But if you prefer you can add a tsp of white sugar or cane sugar or palm candy sugar too.
- Honey can also be added but in that case, do not add it while the milk is hot. Add honey only to warm milk.
- Along with pepper and turmeric you can also add a small piece cinnamon, clove and also ginger.
1.What are the benefits of drinking turmeric with milk?
Turmeric milk is believed to have a good relief from cough, cold and congestion in lungs. IT also helps to improve sleep when consumed at night.
2.Why turmeric milk is called golden milk
Turmeric milk has a bright gold color which comes from the turmeric powder used which gave this drink a named called golden milk.
3.Can I drink turmeric milk daily?
Yes a cup of milk with turmeric and pepper is good to be had daily. It is said to keep several diseases at a distance when consumed regularly.
4.When is the best time to drink turmeric milk?
It is best to have turmeric milk either morning or at nigth before bedtime to keep away from cold and flu.
5.Can we give turmeric milk to kids?
Yes turmeric milk can be given to kids above 3 years but make sure to add palm sugar candy to reduce the heat from pepper.